How much cinematography work is there really in London?

Phoebe Couzens

Hello,

Recently I joined up to the forums to discuss the likelihood of making a career out of cinematography. One of the responses was quite strong - that there is not much work at all out there for a budding cinematographer.

Originally I started that topic as a way of finding out about courses to study cinematography, but now I have some serious reservations and would like to hear from the professional London based people :)

So - is there any work and can cinematography be used as a transferable skill? And is there anything else that people would recommend I do if that is where my interests are?

Guest Stephen Murphy

Hello,

Recently I joined up to the forums to discuss the likelihood of making a career out of cinematography. One of the responses was quite strong - that there is not much work at all out there for a budding cinematographer.

Originally I started that topic as a way of finding out about courses to study cinematography, but now I have some serious reservations and would like to hear from the professional London based people :)

So - is there any work and can cinematography be used as a transferable skill? And is there anything else that people would recommend I do if that is where my interests are?

This is a very difficult business to break into and make a living at. London is no different then most of the other major markets at the moment - its over saturated with crew and there aren't enough jobs to sustain them all. Making a living as a freelancer is hard work and its hard on your personal life/family but its also a lifestyle with plenty of perks that can make it all worthwhile.

If you are truly passionate about a career in Cinematography then you shouldn't let any of that put you off, but If you already have serious reservations having simply read a few comments on an internet forum then this business might not be the right one for you to get into.

One of the responses was quite strong - that there is not much work at all out there for a budding cinematographer.

It wasn't from a guy called Phil Rhodes was it? ;)

It's a highly competitive industry which requires a lot of talent and hard work to crack. Unfortunately, it's also an industry where nepotism and the 'old boys network' are rife, so sometimes even talent isn't enough.

• Premium Member

I should probably point out that Mr Brereton is an ex Londoner and has thus achieved more or less the best demonstration of success you can get in London - he's left.

Needless to say, this will not be an option for us mere mortals.

Oh, and additionally: I didn't say there was not much work out there for a "budding cinematographer". I said there was so near to none that it makes no difference.

P