3D HD CineAlta, etc.

Guest Ultra Definition

So untrue? It gives you 10 F-stops lattitude.

I think you need to read again and learn about bit rate, its relationship to logrithmic and linear gama curves, then you will see why 10 bit does not equal 10 stops of lattitude.

They talk all about it in the Quantel's Digital Fact Book. With the optimum word being FACT.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh come on...

allso one day a man woke up and looked out his window and he

saw the landscape of mars. this is allso the future.So what?

You think that everyone needs to grab onto the next thing that

is supose to be future? Why?

You think that as soon as we figure out what type of technology

is to be used in future we should start using it right now?

Why,to be modern ,to be in trend of future?

if it is the future,then leave it in the future.

Why are you wasting time so much dreaming of the digital future?

If you are a filmmaker,then wake up and work in the present with whatever

tools you like,and if you are not a filmmaker but just someone that

wants to know about film technology,then learn about facts that

are in the present. here you have an oportunity to talk to many DP's

and even John Pytlak about anything you want to know about filmmaking and

film technologies.

But if your soul interest is to speculate about the uncertain future

then this is not really a place for that. Here people mostly exchange experiences,

help each other,or come to learn things out of hobby (like me)

but what you do all the time is pointless i think,

what would you do if you convinced everyone in your views of the future?

ok,one day everything will be digital,so what?

What is the point of knowing that?That is not real knowledge,that is chasing ghosts,

and speculating.

And it wont get you anywhere. Why are you trying to figure out what

the future will be? If you wish to know,you can just wait and see.

I think you should be focused on the present.

And one more thing.

From the day you came here it is clear that you are on the video side.

You kept talking how "we all will miss film" etc. if you will miss it so much

then why are you spending most of your time on HD section?

There is no need to miss film,it is here,and it will be here for quite some time.

miss it when it is gone.

Guest Ultra Definition

Hey Filip, my last post was a joke, just because the guy before was so serious. I started this thread by talking about new Sony CineAlta SR equipmet; all I did was I presented some facts and said what it meant; that's all. Of course I am not on the video side but there is no reason not to look at the options and where is this thing going. And look at the heading of the section; it's HD, not Film. Joe

• Premium Member
Max, this is a technical topic. Do you have any technical contribution?

Do you?

I question whether you are even qualified to make 'technical contributions' since you don't really reveal who you are and what your occupation is. This is a forum for working professionals and I'm afraid you don't give the impression to be one

It is very easy to hide behind a pseudonym and spit lies into the world.

• Premium Member
well if this is a forum only for working professional,then i am not welcome here either since i'm not one,at least not in the moving pictures bussines

I didn't say 'only'. :D

But anyone who posts as much on technical topics as 'Ultra Definition' better know what he is talking about. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be his case, hence the constant corrections other members have to provide.

I work almost exclusively in 35mm, but I do read the HD forum to educate myself and I find his incorrect posts and HD/UD wet dreams very annoying and unappropriate.

Filip (Windman), the difference between you and UD is that you are open about your knowledge base, and ask questions and make statements based upon that perspective. UD essentially asks no questions but instead makes grand statements and prognostications all with a fairly singular perspective. It is the difference between conversation and propaganda, discourse and rhetoric. Your conversation & discourse is welcome by people such as myself; UD's propaganda & rhetoric is not.

Guest Ultra Definition

Max Jacoby and Mitch Gross. I would suggest that you are specific in your attacks. If you don't have the technical knowledge and make general accusations, or the technical accusations are incorrect, I suggest that you read ABC HDV by one of the Disney characters. Joe

Guest Ultra Definition

I'm sure you understand film, Mitch, but don't make these general statements. Why inflate the qualities of Panasonic's Varicam, etc. You corrected me technically twice on HD; both times you were wrong.

Serious ... Maybe so. But I am at least open to dicussion. It all lays in the way you occupy a furnished room. Talk, don´t teach others. If you just rephrased yourself

you wouldn´t be the object of sneering from ALL in here...

I don´t hate you I just don´t care for the way you talk back.

People that carry them selves that way around here are the ones to have soup in the long run.

Don´t use my name if u can´t eve say yours btw.

• Premium Member
Max Jacoby and Mitch Gross. I would suggest that you are specific in your attacks. If you don't have the technical knowledge and make general accusations, or the technical accusations are incorrect, I suggest that you read ABC HDV by one of the Disney characters. Joe

My personal favourite is your 'Build your own home-made HD camera' post. Absolutely hilarious! You might have stumbled across a new catch word here: 'HDIY'

Come on, fess up, which video company are you working for?

• 3 weeks later...

My personal favourite is your 'Build your own home-made HD camera' post. Absolutely hilarious! You might have stumbled across a new catch word here: 'HDIY'

Hilarious maybe but a reality, but this is what Jeff Krienes has done, a diy HD camera. www.Kinetta.com

Mike brennan

• 1 month later...
Guest J Jukuzami

Building a camera is no big deal. Guys at Creative Cow and DVInfo.net are doing it, 1080p. The chips are available. The converters and interface boards are available. You add a box, lens mount, and feed it to Boxx RT and record compressed with Prospect HD or uncompressed.

Guest J Jukuzami

They are getting the same quality images as Kinetta, when using the same chips, with 1/10 the cost

• Premium Member

Kodak is selling 12 megapixel color sensor chips for less than $0.04 (4 cents) each. We package them on a clear plastic base with perforations along the edge for ease in handling, transport, and storage. They are available with various sensitivities, ranging from EI50 daylight to EI500 tungsten. Each chip has a built-in permanent storage device that has proven to be excellent for long-term storage if stored properly per SMPTE Recommended Practice RP131. Early monochrome Kodak sensors have provided excellent images after over 100 years.

Larger and smaller format chips are also available. The largest are capable of over 100 megapixels resolution, and are attached to 65mm wide plastic base. B)

Guest J Jukuzami

Sony is going to produce paper based DVD's at about the same cost per bit. Panasonic wants to be better so it is going to produce eatable DVDs in 31 sushi flavors. Kodak, working secretly with the CIA, is going to produce tha same thing, but when stepped on, the DVD will turn into eatable underwaer, and will double the storage capacity to store a plus size woman. :P

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Hi, I am just getting into cinematography and I have a few questions. For a start, I noticed the pixel resolution of the camera (cinealta) was something like 1920x1080. Well, the one thing that I couldnt get with that is, my desktop backgrounds have a higher pixel resolution than that. How the hell can that fill a cinema screen?

I mean loss of quality is one thing, but when your stretching pixels like that over a huge cinema screen, thats just taking the mick.

If someone could help me on that I'd be very gratefull, thankyou.

Dan. :)