costs of batteries part of soundguy´s fee?

Hi,

We did a shoot for an independent US documentary here in Vienna, Austria.

After we finished one week of shooting, I had a discussion with the producer who claimed that costs for batteries were part of the soundman´s fee, because he did not state otherwise before the shoot. (The sound guy did in fact state that he did not know how many batteries he would need on the job, therefore he would be unable to give any exact figures).

The producer claims to have worked with many different sound guys in the US over the years and batteries were always part of the fee.

Please tell me what is common practice in the US on this issue.

thanks & cheers

Peter Roehsler

nanookfilm

vienna

austria

Edited by peter roehsler

• Premium Member

Don't know about the US, but here in the UK it's usually "consumables at cost", so the production would pay.

I assume if one really misused this the production would have every right to complain, but I never have, so it's never been quibbled.

P

Common batteries like AA's, 9V, etc are expendables and as such should be paid for by production, just like camera tape, markers, or any other supplies or expendables. If production has an account with the supplier, then it goes through a purchase order, otherwise it comes out of petty cash, and if there is no petty cash (and the sound guy bought the batteries himself) then he remits the receipt to production for reimbursement as an expense. Fairly standard practice.

• Premium Member

For the most part, production pays for the expendables. If you need something really minimal, just a few more batteries, sometimes guys don't bother with the petty cash reimbursement because it's ... well, petty. When a picture wrapped, often we used to get to take home the leftover gels and tape and stuff. Those expendables later got used on student films and really low budget labor of love projects.

-- J.S.

Thank you all!

The producer has since changed his position and agreed to pay for these expendables.

I never had any real doubts about this issue, but I wanted to make sure by asking you experienced people in the US whether I was right.

thanks again!

peter