On Dangerous Ground (1951)

I am a HUGE fan of film noir but had never seen this film before. I have to say I loved it. What really impressed me was how modern it felt for a film shot in the very early 50s. I don't remember the use of hand-held verite' shots in a feature this early and used identically as used today. I was under the impression that verite' sprung out of the French new wave. Also the subject matter, a cop out of control, a psycho killer. With the Haze Code still being strongly observed, this seems extraordinary for the times.

I also have developed a growing respect for Robert Ryan's work. I've seen several of his films now and think in the annals of cinema history, he's never really received the respect for his work he deserves. If you have never seen this film, I would certainly recommend it. B)

• Premium Member

Yeah great film, those chase scenes through the snow are incredible, as is the score. Nice work I thought from the female lead Ida Lupino too, at the time in transition from acting to directing, who actually took over directing briefly when Nick Ray fell ill, apparently.

Ray seems to have had a fascination with out of control protagonists - a year or so earlier he directed 'In a Lonely Place', giving Bogart probably his greatest role (imho) as a writer doomed by his violent tendencies. Even darker than 'On Dangerous Ground', it's a truly brilliant film, highly recommended to anyone who has yet had the pleasure.