Drip Pan

Zander Kroon

For an upcoming shoot I'm gaffing we will be doing a night exterior at a pool. The DP and I would like to create the moving water look on the walls. I remember reading an article about lighting at pools and "drip pans" are often used to create the waving lines, water effect. What are some good ways of making my own drip pan?

• Premium Member

I remember reading an article about lighting at pools and "drip pans" are often used

Huh, I wonder if they still sell them at the auto parts store? A drip pan is a large (about 3x4') shallow pan that was used to keep the drips of oil dropping from your car's engine from fouling your driveway or garage floor. In the olden days they even had them under new cars at the dealership! These days a drop of oil on the ground means a trip to the mechanic to find out what the problem is.

Adrian's solution sounds good if a "drip pan" is a thing of the past.

Several answers to your question have already been posted. It's nothing special, nothing specifically made for the film industry. Just a shallow pan, filled with water, some reflective material in it and a light bounced off of it. Could be a plastic or metal pan, doesn't really matter, use wrinkled aluminum foil pieces on the bottom, or broken mirror or Rosco soft silver or anything else that gives you the desired effect. Agitate the water or the pan to produce some ripples, just try it out.