LUXURY HOTEL SHOOT

Mark Haffner

We've got a 3 person crew doing some marketing videos for a hotel chain. We are in the US and the shoot & production are in the UK. We are planning to rent our lighting equipment locally in the UK. We'll be shooting in & out of hotels. Can someone recommend a lighting rig for us for interior as well as lighting for larger exterior areas.

Going along with Adrian, there are still a geat many variables that may contribute to your project. Are you filming daytime exteriors or nightime exteriors? I would suggest Tugsten lights for both setups as these lights tend to be cheaper. Howvever, that only applies if you are not shooting daytime exteriors. Thus daylight lights (such as HMI or PAR) must be used, without the aid of a conversion filter.

The overall lighting complements are truely up to your dicression and budget. If you have the money then get plenty of lights! For the interiors, I would go with at least 4-5 babys (1K each) if you happen to be lighting a lobby. Small interiors may only need a 3 piece lighting kit of tweenies, maybe 1 baby, and two mighty moles with a zip/kenoflow. I might throw in some more tweenies but that would be it.

Depending on the size, I would also suggest a FAY light. They are easily adjustable and you can soften it up a bit with a 8x8 frame and some shower curtain or something of the like.