Interview Setup Tips

Guest WillR

Hi,

I am preparing to conduct a series of interviews for a documentary and we were thinking about using the subjects with a black background- so the viewers are not distracted by the objects in the background.

What is the best way to set up an interview like this? Black fabric hanging and a large f-stop difference between the subject and the background? Or should I try to key out a greenscreen in post? We will be using a DVX. Think Charlie Rose.

Thanks in advance,

Will

• Premium Member

Hi,

I've done this several times, and just shot against black twill drapes. I found it necessary to crop out the blacks a bit in post to take the background to pure black, just for video noise.

Wouldn't go near the greenscreen idea - taking something very bright and turning it into something very dark is the hardest possible situation, and you're only shooting DV.

Phil

• Premium Member

Most TV studios (like the one they use for Charlie Rose) have a big black curtain on a track that's used for black "limbo." The material is close to a dull velvet, which absorbs light very well.

Try to flag your lights off the background as much as possible. You could crush the black level a little if you like (either in camera or in post), but keep in mind that this will also affect the shadows and contrast of your subjects.

And yes, use a backlight. ;) But since the background is black, it doesn't have to be very bright to show up; just enough to create some separation and pleasant modeling.

Hi,

I am preparing to conduct a series of interviews for a documentary and we were thinking about using the subjects with a black background- so the viewers are not distracted by the objects in the background.

What is the best way to set up an interview like this? Black fabric hanging and a large f-stop difference between the subject and the background? Or should I try to key out a greenscreen in post? We will be using a DVX. Think Charlie Rose.

Thanks in advance,

Will

All the above tips are true such as flagging off your spill from the key on the backdrop etc. If the room is big and you can get your subject far enough away from the BG all the better. Your spill will not be as big of a problem and the BG will be real dark. You should easily get a 3 stop difference with distance plus flagging of spill.

Also use a soft source for your backlight to avoid the "fly away hairs" that stick out like a sore thumb against black.Either that or contol the backlight so it only hits shoulders, although I prefer to add hairlight especially on women.

My 2 cents

Scott

• Premium Member

If you're going to use a chimera for lighting, make sure you have an egg-crate baffle for it - it'll keep the spill off the background nicely and save you setting a couple flags.

The hair issue can be especially tricky, I shot a blond TV star against black once, I don't know how many times her poor hair person had to jump in and control recalcitrant strands. Bring hairspray and maybe a water spray bottle / Evian mister in case you need 'em.

J

I love the look when I light black backdrops with color. Huh? I set up the black backdrop and flag all the lights of it. Then I light an area behind the actor with a glow and gel it. You need to use a pretty bright light like a one k. The colors on black have a wonderful deep saturation. Like a German expressionist painting or a black velvet painting. Viva Elvis

• Premium Member
I love the look when I light black backdrops with color.  Huh?  I set up the black backdrop and flag all the lights of it.  Then I light an area behind the actor with a glow and gel it.  You need to use a pretty bright light like a one k.  The colors on black have a wonderful deep saturation.  Like a German expressionist painting or a black velvet painting. Viva Elvis

I do this sometimes with a Source 4. I choose an abstract pattern and then throw the projection just slightly out of focus.

Lately I've been into deep blues like Double CTB and Congo Blue (purple to the eye but blue on video). Blue is a complement to Caucasian skin tones and really makes the person "pop" from the BG.

I love the look when I light black backdrops with color.  Huh?  I set up the black backdrop and flag all the lights of it.  Then I light an area behind the actor with a glow and gel it.  You need to use a pretty bright light like a one k.  The colors on black have a wonderful deep saturation.  Like a German expressionist painting or a black velvet painting. Viva Elvis

I just shot some interviews a couple of days ago with a black backdrop. We basically put a soft key towards the side, bounced a smaller light for fill, and back lit from above and behind the backdrop. It turned out real nice. But if only I knew about this technique. It sounds pretty cool. You can really see the color bounce off of a black backdrop? Interesting...