color shades

Diana G Palombaro

Hi everybody,

i'm going to shoot with Red for the first time and alway got a new question in my haed.

- Looking through the viewfinder I noticed, in underexposed areas, colors to appear like concentric shades of the same color. Should I expect it in projection too?

- Everybody suggest to rate it 320 Iso or 160 iso.. but what if rating it 500 iso. I know the raw file is uneffected by the iso rating so it will be underexposed by 500iso. But what the file will look like in post production once the 500iso rating will be applyed?

thanks everybody for patiently answering,

D

• Premium Member

If you are shooting with the old M sensor, I'd rate it at 250 to 320 ASA, especially in tungsten (3200K). At higher ASA's, the blue channel noise in 3200K can be annoying.

If you are shooting with the new M-X sensor, I'd rate it at 500 to 800 ASA even in tungsten light, and for night work, 1000 ASA is fine too.

Yes, it's all metadata, the rough sensitivity of either sensor is around 250 ASA for the M sensor, maybe 400 ASA for the M-X sensor, both are daylight-balanced for all intents and purposes, but the newer sensor is so much lower in noise that 3200K is not a problem nor is higher ASA ratings.

--

The camera does a quickie real-time debayering to 720P for monitoring purposes and some noise and color artifacts show up that are not in the final RAW files.