Kodak 7240...or?

Mark Smith

Okay, here.s the deal. I am going to shoot a project on colour stock for the first time. I am interested in using the Kodak 7240 reversal stock...I.m shooting various interirors, some streets in manhattan and a beach on coney island. I believe [after some reading] this stock can handle all of this [with appropriate filters]...I was just curious if anyone has shot on this before and has images to share...or if there is another stock [reversal only please...$$$] that you would recommend.

Thanks,

Mark.

• Premium Member

Sorry, but the Kodak films for the VNF process have been discontinued:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...PCN040804_Q.pdf

June 2004

Dear Customer:

Kodak is announcing plans to discontinue manufacturing all EASTMAN EKTACHROME Color Reversal Motion

Picture Films by year-end 2004.

This decision has not been taken lightly and is brought about by two fundamental reasons. Kodak?s proactive

environmental strategy calls for the elimination of several component parts in these products and falling sales

volume due to lack of demand. Unfortunately, this combination of factors prohibits our ability to enter into a

research and development program to re-engineer these products. You can imagine, we are very disappointed to

have to make this decision.

As a result, the product discontinuance schedule is as follows:

Immediate:

·  EASTMAN EKTACHROME High Speed Film 400T SO-251 (ESTAR)

·  EASTMAN EKTACHROME Film 160D 2239 (ESTAR)

Within six months:

Depending on customer demand, we anticipate that supplies of the following films will be available for

approximately four to six months:

·  EASTMAN EKTACHROME Film 160D 7239

·  EASTMAN EKTACHROME Film 125T 7240

·  EASTMAN EKTACHROME Print Film 7399 and 5399

By year-end:

Production of the following high speed EKTACHROME Color Reversal Motion Picture Films will cease by yearend.

Depending on customer demand, we anticipate that supplies of the following films will be available for

approximately three months into 2005:

·  EASTMAN EKTACHROME Film 400T 7250

·  EASTMAN EKTACHROME Film 400D 7251

·  EASTMAN EKTACHROME Film 400D 2253 (ESTAR)

There may be limited stocks of 7240 in inventory.

If you must use a reversal film, I suggest using Kodak EKTACHROME 100D Color Reversal Film 7285:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...PCN031304_Q.pdf

Now Available

KODAK EKTACHROME 100D Color Reversal Film / 7285

Kodak now offers, KODAK EKTACHROME 100D Color Reversal Film / 7285 in 16 mm format (E-6 process).

In addition to being a true 100-speed color reversal motion picture film designed for daylight, whether you?re

shooting ads, music videos, documentaries, television, or features, it delivers intensely saturated color, plus a

neutral gray scale and accurate skin tones. All with sharpness you won?t find in any other 100-speed reversal film.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/products...1.4.4.6.4&lc=en

Unless you are seeking a special "look", much 16mm production today has shifted to the use of color negative film, as few people project their spliced camera original, and a print, telecine transfer, or digital intermediate are almost always made.