B & W and camera advice

Steve Buckley

I am about to shoot a low/no budget promo pop video and have decided to use a Panasonic HVX200E for HD and a Canon 1014 AZ for additional Super 8 shots. I want to use TRI X and wanted to know if anyone has any experience and advice on this camera and stock? I am a newcomer to film and need to shoot the film scenes with as much ease as possible.

I am about to shoot a low/no budget promo pop video and have decided to use a Panasonic HVX200E for HD and a Canon 1014 AZ for additional Super 8 shots. I want to use TRI X and wanted to know if anyone has any experience and advice on this camera and stock? I am a newcomer to film and need to shoot the film scenes with as much ease as possible.

Just shoot. If you can (and you should), shoot a test roll first to see what you get.

The 1014 is a very decent camera and if you want "ease", just rely on its automatic settings. Tri-X further is a tolerant stock.

I agree completely with Friedemann. In addition, get as familiar as you can with the camera before principal photography.

Read the instruction manual.

Little things, like correctly setting the eyepiece diopter (to the camera operator) can make a big difference in the quality of your results.

If you can shoot a test roll (highly recommended) try and do it under similar conditions to what the real shooting will be like.

That stock and camera are 100% compatible, so shoot with no worries. That's a great camera too.

Thanks very much for your advice and encouragement. I get quite a lot of negativity when I tell people I intend to shoot Super 8 as well, but I intend to stick with my original plans!

Nonsense... Just think that Super8 was originally created for housewives and grandmothers to shoot their children at birthday parties blowing the candles... It's quite easy!