Converting 30p to 25p

Chris Alex

I shot a music video with Canon 5D mk2 and the footage was 30p. I converted it to Apple ProRes HQ to edit it and kept the same frame rate. So I edited it at 30 frames. It didnt occur to me that Id have to print it on tape at 25fps (PAL standard) so It can air at that rate.

Now Im wondering if I should finish my video and export it and THEN convert it to 25p OR stop where I am, and convert all my footage to 25p and edit on top of a 25p export of what I already have.

Ive converted a mixdown with MPEG streamclip from 30p to 25p and with frame blending the cuts look like a 1 frame dissolve. Without frame blending the motion looks a bit choppy.

Ive converted footage from 30p to 25p and in the motion I can see the frames blending.

On the other hand I will upload the video on YouTube. Isnt it better if I keep it 30p for YouTube?

Any advise would be useful since Ive stopped editing till I resolve this matter.

Thanks!

• 3 years later...

I shot a music video with Canon 5D mk2 and the footage was 30p. I converted it to Apple ProRes HQ to edit it and kept the same frame rate. So I edited it at 30 frames. It didnt occur to me that Id have to print it on tape at 25fps (PAL standard) so It can air at that rate.

Now Im wondering if I should finish my video and export it and THEN convert it to 25p OR stop where I am, and convert all my footage to 25p and edit on top of a 25p export of what I already have.

Ive converted a mixdown with MPEG streamclip from 30p to 25p and with frame blending the cuts look like a 1 frame dissolve. Without frame blending the motion looks a bit choppy.

Ive converted footage from 30p to 25p and in the motion I can see the frames blending.

On the other hand I will upload the video on YouTube. Isnt it better if I keep it 30p for YouTube?

Any advise would be useful since Ive stopped editing till I resolve this matter.

Thanks!

30p can be a problem!

The easiest thing might be to slow your footage down to 25p and timestretch the soundtrack! :(

You could also slow your footage down to 25p and completely recut it. That's not going to work to well if the video has any lipsync tho.

You could attempt to convert the raw footage to 25p in MPEG Streamclip and then re-edit it at 25p which might solve any issues with cuts if the cuts don't occur on a frame blend.

You could maybe combine the last two of these strategies for different parts of the footage.

Best thing to do if you were to do it all over would have been to shoot at 24p or 25p.

You tube is fairly framerate agnostic. In fact at 24 or 25p there is less data it has to stream to people as there are less frames! Less data means it will probably actually stream better!

If you were just making the video only for youtube then 30p would be fine but clearly that isn't the case.

Freya

Edited by Freya Black