ASC Open House

Bob Hayes

The American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) will host their annual open house and live Internet chat with many of the world?s most talented filmmakers prior to the 19th Annual Outstanding Achievement Awards. The ASC Clubhouse will be open for visitors from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. (PST) on Saturday, February 12. I plan to be there. And I hope other members of this site will also. See you there.

http://www.theasc.com/awards/index_open_house.html

It was fun. The members were very open. I heard some cool stories. I ran into several people that I've worked with in the past. For the Internet chat, I transcribed for Tonino Delli Colli (translated through Dante Spinotti), Bruno Delbonnel and Paul Cameron. I'll go again next year.

Edited by Nate Yolles

• Premium Member

I enjoyed the open house. I was able to speak at length with the extremely knowledgable Mr. Joe Dutton and meet several other cinematographers whose work I admire. I only wish I spoke fluent Italian so I could have asked Mr. Delli Colli about his work with Sergio Leone on TGTB&TU.

Is there a place to read these chats?

Thanks

They will post them at www.theasc.com.

I would also like to say that they have a beautiful collection in their museum. I found it humorous that they have a Cameflex sitting behind glass while I'm out building my reel with that very same "antiquity."

Edited by Nate Yolles

• Premium Member

Yes, I have always loved Dedo lighting.

It was a great event. I saw some people from the forum, such as Wendell . . . it was good to see you.

Everyone was friendly as usual. Had a great long conversation with Shelly Johnson, a truly nice guy.

The only person I did miss was David. I presume he was out shooting (or sick).

Kevin Zanit

I had a great time at the ASC. The members are so generous with sharing their time and their knowledge. I didn?t hook up with any cinematography.com members. :-( I spent the last ½ hour walking around reading name tags trying to find you guys and gals. I was as interested in seeing you as seeing the ASC guys.

• Premium Member

I got in to chat room and used my real name. I had downloaded and

installed Sun/Java as suggested by ASC. Things did not seem to oper-

ate as they should have. I could not identify others in chat rooms. I was

able to send messages and sent three. Sent message congratulating Mr.

Fred Koenekamp,ASC for receiving ASC Lifetime Achievment Award, I

sent thank you message to ASC for all that it provides, sent message to

thank David Mullen ASC for his tireless efforts here, with helping all of

us learn the craft and art of cinematography. I did ask one question

about Mr. Koenekamp,ASC; I asked if he was still shooting any films,

teaching etc. . I had several messages flash across my message screen,

they flickered and moved so fast that I could not read them. Does any-

body know if if the the chat room posts will be available to read anywhere?

I use Comcast/cable broadband.

Greg Gross

Guest Tim van der Linden

I had a great time. I saw Kevin walking around but didn't get a chance to say hello because my group was always on the move, unfortunately. My highlights were Caleb Deschanel and Robert Elswit. Mr. Deschanel's enthusiasm was really inspiring and it was just fun listening to his stories, and it was really refreshing hearing Mr. Elswit confide that he wasn't quite sure how to approach his next project. It was great seeing how open and enthusiastic everyone was. I also got to speak with Bruno Delbonnel and met a few new people. I can't wait until next year, I'm still giddy :)

And does anybody know what the story was on who myself everyone I spoke to SWORE was Rob Richardson wearing a nametag that said something completely different?