Getting Cramped

Guest Frank Gossimier

Guest Frank Gossimier

Is it just me or is this forum running out of room? Getting a bit of that squishy feeling.

Ads on both sides now, and I have to "pan" my browser window to make my highly informative and often read posts. :D

I would also question the legitimacy of some these so called "film schools", I wonder how many of them are these famous take your money and run schools? I won't name names but some of them are advertising here on this site.

You younger folk who are looking for training had best be VERY careful before you hand over any money to any of these "schools."

Well I guess the ads keep this site free, and I'm not against capitalism or profits, but you can risk long term alienation of your audience for short term gain.

That's all I will say. Am I alone in these thoughts?

Frank

Is it just me or is this forum running out of room?  Getting a bit of that squishy feeling.

Even though this forum has been online since about '98, it's only been the last couple of years that we've had ad banners take up any real space. They actually do generate a few $$, and that gives me some incentive to keep this site running smootly.

If you're stuck with an 800x600 display, well then I can imagine the banners might make it cumbersome to read the messages, but I think most users are bigger than 800x600, right?

I thought about placing the google ads at the bottom of the page, assuming that most users are at the bottom of thread just before they're ready to leave the forum, but right now I'd like to try the left column where they are now.

If you see a Google Ad here for a known sketchy web site (or school, as you mentioned) email the site's URL to me and I can prevent them from displaying ads on cinematography.com.

UPDATE: Just moved the Google Ad to the top and I think it looks better and is more space efficient too.

I too am concerned about some of the film schools advertised here, i joined about a year ago ( i guess i will see the date after i post ) and before then was just a guest reading a lot of the posts here. I never did the film school thing so i don't know first hand but have heard of lots of horror stories about film schools. Not just one but a lot of them.

I would suggest to anyone thinking of getting in to film to go to there local film group and take the courses there first and get experience working on set before spending a lot of money on education. Most of the basic stuff you need to know comes from being a camera trainee or grip or electric trainee. I did not have a lot of problem getting some of this kind of work but i hear that in other cities its vary hard to find a trainee job or get volunteer work. No one should have to pay to get a trainee job or pay to volunteer

I will say with out the help from the many posts of overwhelming information this forum has giving me i don't think i would have advanced my skill level as much as i have in the past year with out the help of photography and cinematography forums like this one. Many thanks to David Mullen, John Pytlak,Tim Tyler and others. As this has been a good on line film school ( and its free too)

To get to the point does anyone think that the advertisements are kind of like endorsing a school. Theres lots of new film makers and students here maybe thinking of going to one of these schools. Im cool with the non school ads and think the forum should make money but some of the stuff i have heard about these schools is almost criminal.

p.s. I like the new look :D

• Premium Member

I don?t mind the ads at all. In fact I just sent my gaffer in the direction of Light Line's flicker meter, so I guess they can be good for something!

I enjoy this forum, and I know many people feel the same way. It is free, and I know it costs money to run, so Tim feel free to keep the adds coming. As long as there are no pop-ups I'm happy!

Kevin Zanit

I run a 1024x768 resolution on my laptop and I have no trouble with having to "Scroll" my browser over to see the entire post. It all fits nicely in my screen. Same with my home computer and pretty much any computer I have ever used.

If your still running on 800x600, then you need to either A) Get a video card made after the stone age, lol or B) go to your display setting and chnage it.

And if you just like the 800x600, then I have no advice.

P.S) I dont mind the adds. As fare as these film school adds go, I dont trust adds I see on the internet. If I see an add for a film school, i'll be doing some check'in out before I go give them my lifes savings, as most people would.