Has Chris Doyle lost it?

Jarin Blaschke

I saw 'Rabbit Proof Fence' last night and when Doyle's card came up at the end, I was quite surprised. Throughout the movie I was thinking "What hack shot this? What just plain bad lighting this is." I also recall my same reaction to seeing "Made," especially after a very underexposed/printed up day exterior scene (I believe at a zoo or aquarium - it's been a few years).

With such an amazing portfolio behind him, what happened to this guy? I heard he has some worsening alcohol/drug problems but that may just be gossip.

Does anyone else have any more info/ opinions on this icon of innovative photography?

Don't know anything about any gossip, nor would I care to. I think the choices on Rabbit-Proof Fence were appropriate to the simple, bleak tale they were telling and the style in which it was told by the director. Doyle worked with the same director on "The Quiet American" and the result was a top notch, very professional job. Since shooting these films he has continued to work, including shooting "Hero," which is supposed to be quite beautiful (Miramax still is sitting on it in the States, but that's another thread) and was the cover story for American Cinematographer last year, so it can't be all bad.

This is an open forum which can be linked to from internet search engines. Let's please keep rumor and speculation to a minimum, especially those of a personal nature.

This is an open forum which can be linked to from internet search engines. Let's please keep rumor and speculation to a minimum, especially those of a personal nature.

Couldn't agree with that more.

As to whether his choices on Rabbit Proof Fence were the right ones, I can't say. But even if he chose "wrong", whatever that is, who cares? He's an artist. Isn't the whole point to screw up a different way each time? I mean, if choosing the wrong look two films in a row means you've lost it, then what's the point in being adventurous? Isn't the risk the whole point?

Ah.. I don't know...

Perhaps "Lost it" was much too strong a term. I was just used to seeing such spectacular things from him and was surprised to see something seemingly mediocre. Of course, these two films are far too little evidence to conclude that he no longer can do great work - Rabbit Proof Fence just looked very "lit" (like he just turned on a baby baby and aimed it down at Brannaugh) in some scenes and milky/grainy in bright day exteriors and left me confused. Like he phoned it in as opposed to making 'wrong' decisions - I'm not sure that there are such things as 'wrong' decisions in the creative process.

I suppose it's like seeing the lighting of A Few Good Men, knowing that Richardson just came off of JFK and the Doors. Of course he continued on to do some of his best work in the years to come.

I also will keep rumor to myself in the future. Apologies to Chris Doyle, wherever you are.

• 10 months later...
  • Premium Member

I actually had the opportunity to see 2046 in Cannes this past summer. I don't know if there was a film at the festival, other than House of Flying Daggers (which I guess Xiaoding Zhao was nominated for, that's an incredible movie) or Old Boy, that had more compelling lighting. As a viewer I was transported to another time and another world. I was dazzled by completely surrealistic greens and reds, and I bought it. And isn't that what this job is supposed to be all about? I haven't seen Rabbit-Proof Fence yet so I can't comment on that, but if you get the chance to see 2046, it could bring you around to appreciating Doyle and his versatility. And as for Made... personally, I think P-Diddy makes the entire movie. And it's gotta be an achievement to light Jon Favreau in an attractive way. Just kidding.. he's awesome.

see the movie.

• Premium Member

hero and 2046 are two of the best shot films i've seen in a while, chris doyle likes to have a beer ocasionally (even on set) so what. maybe its time some other DoPs enjoyed a beer- then they might be able to compete with his refreshing (as a heineken- his beer of choice) and varied work.

Keith

He lit the Psycho remake, nuff said. ;)

I admire any man (or woman) who can just say "sod this" throw away all their safety blankets and create something never seen before from scratch without any worries about how comfortably it will fit alongside the status quo.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Premium Member

i just saw it on dvd and thought it looked beautiful. the performances were fantastic. and of course that story is amazing. if this photography looks like "a hack" did it then i can't wait to be hack just like that.

f

Since were talking about Christopher Doyle, does anyone know why two DPs are credited for "In the Mood for Love"!? It's one of my favorite films as far as the photography is concerned and I'd really like to know what each of the cinematographers, Christopher Doyle or Pin Bing Lee contibuted to this picture?

Since were talking about Christopher Doyle, does anyone know why two DPs are credited for "In the Mood for Love"!? It's one of my favorite films as far as the photography is concerned and I'd really like to know what each of the cinematographers, Christopher Doyle or Pin Bing Lee contibuted to this picture?

The shooting went on for a long long time - over a year - & Chris Doyle was previously commited to some other movie.

Li Ping-bin is a great DP in his own right with films for Hou Hsiao-hsien most notably. I also have noticed he got a second camera credit for "Fallen Angels"

I've never really parsed "In The Mood For Love" for who did what although I can kinda tell sometimes.

I think most of the hotel stuff was Chris Doyle, but it seems a majoity of that footage as not used.

-Sam

I had the pleasure of meeting Christopher Doyle on the set of Lady in the Water. His heartfelt, often drunken, declarations on the joy he gets from celebrating a color, or a luminosity, were inspiring. I produced and edited a 40 minute "making of" for the upcoming LITW DVD where I approached the all too brief section on Doyle and his contributions as a bit of a love letter to him. his behavior on set is heartbreaking. I fear his self-destructive ways are going to rob us of him far too soon. it's sad what he does to himself. the man lives for revealing the beauty in people and can't see it in himself.

Edited by Zak Forsman

I've had the pleasure of working with Chris for a day on a music video for the Strokes and having had several discussions / chinese food feasts and yes drinking sessions with him in NY and LA. Chris is an inspiring guy to hang out with, he lives as an artist 100% of the time, sometimes he is totally uninhibited (that's challenging to be around) and full of more energy than anyone I've ever met

Chris is pushing limits, with is art and with his life. He is not interested in repeating himself or picking any low hanging fruit or getting easy praise for any past accomplishments. I think that sometimes his muse leads him to what seems like a blind alley to us ( and perhaps to him too? ) He's not making safe choices - but when he gets it right it's something new, completly from the heart and beyond all that you expected or imagined.

He's in Portland at the moment working with Gus Van Sant again ( sorry CD if I blew your cover ) who knows where that will lead...

Matt Uhry

www.fuzby.com

There is a book out about Shaymalan shooting LITW and it has a lot of stuff about Chirs Doyle in it. I thought it an interesting read but who knows how accurate it is. If Night was trying to use Chris as a catalyst to shake things up he picked the right guy. Personally I love the film the story and the cinematography.

I dont know what it is, but I LOVE working with the "self destructive artist" types. I like old time, hard drinkin hard talkin Hollywood hard asses. Thats why I love the camera dept and cinematographers, they're fu**in salty people and most of the time they dont take any poop. I hope I get to work with Chris Doyle now, after reading this, ha ha. (On the same token, I certainly hope he doesnt ruin himself or go off the rails or anything like that)

*It could be that Rabbit Proof fence and Made were shot on significantly smaller budgets, they were very much independent films with not a lot of time or money to shoot them. (I think "Made"s budget was like $5 mill) Im sure that factors into some of the creative product. I thought they captured the night time stuff especially well in "Made", but that's just me.

I know what you're saying by the title of this thread though, I get the same way sometimes. When you're passionate about someone's work and it changes or they're doing something you dont particularly like so much (esp when it lasts for a couple of pictures) it can get you heated.