Orange filter set OC12 came with Konvas 1M

Richard Tuohy

Hello all,

shot my first roll with my Konvas 1M yesterday. I shot a roll of Ektachrome duplicating film which is 12 asa and tungsten and has a gamma of 1 (was intended for slide duplication). projected results look great. To shoot outdoors, I had to tape some 85 filters to the front of the lenses ... but the camera kit came with a set of orange filters marked 'OC 12'. Are these colour correction filters or where these intended for black and white use? They seem quite a bit darker than normal 85 filters. Any info would be appreciated before I go out and buy a set of 85s that fit the lenses.

cheers,

richard

The 85 filter is more of a brown colour. If this OC12 is pure orange then it's probably for B/W use. However, you have a set, so they could be 85s with combined ND. I have a 6" set with 85, 85ND3 and 85 ND6 (1 and 2 stops, as you probably know already). How you find out for sure without an expensive film test or a densitometer or colour temperature meter I don't know. Perhaps Olex will chip in.

Hello all,

shot my first roll with my Konvas 1M yesterday. I shot a roll of Ektachrome duplicating film which is 12 asa and tungsten and has a gamma of 1 (was intended for slide duplication). projected results look great. To shoot outdoors, I had to tape some 85 filters to the front of the lenses ... but the camera kit came with a set of orange filters marked 'OC 12'. Are these colour correction filters or where these intended for black and white use? They seem quite a bit darker than normal 85 filters. Any info would be appreciated before I go out and buy a set of 85s that fit the lenses.

cheers,

richard

Hello! OC 12 is only for B/W use. On BW stocks it makes blue sky dark, skin tone makes lighter and takes about 2 stops. Of course, you can use OC 12 with colour stocks but it will be look like as your creative vision :) Good luck!

Russian film making industry had a few type of filters OC series.

This is orange filters with difference thickness of glass.

OC-5 ( 1 mm ), OC-6 ( 2 mm ), - color correction filters for use of "T"( russian LN film ) films at daylight ( show like 85 filters) .

OC-12 - middle orange filters for B&W film shooting.

OC-14- high density orange filter for B&W film shooting.

As of OC-12 - transparent curve have rate 560-2700 nM and show as of "hard cutting curve".

OC-6 have elastic curve at rate 300-600 nM and hard curve 600-2700

I can send curves of a OC12 and OC6 filters by PM.

As for me, OC-12 do not color correction filter for color film, this is filter for B&W filming.

I recommend to find original 85 filters.