35 III Mag Hell

Hi All,

Sorry for all the questions I've been posting in here lately. I hope I haven't been too much a nuisance. As always, your help is greatly appreciated.

The problem I'm having is when loading the 500ft mags for the 35-III. In the manual it says to take care that the "drive key of the feed shaft is seated in the notch in the plastic core". Doing this in the light is simple. But doing it in the bag is proving to be almost impossible!!! I have no idea how to go about doing this, being that feeling the notch with my hands as well as the drive key is almost impossible, and there seems to be no sort of assistance, like a click to let you know its in properly. Is this absolutely mandatory to do? How do you guys do it? I'm hoping there is some sort of tip or secret I'm missing, I'm in dear need of help!

Frustrated but hopeful,

Evan

• Premium Member

If the III mag works like the I and II, get used to the feel of it using an empty core in the light. The core goes partway onto the fat spindle, then it's blocked by the key until you rotate it to where the key slips into the slot. At least that's how I remember it. Haven't actually done it in about 25 years.

-- J.S.

It's pretty simple. Most Arri lll mags have a collapsible core but the ones that don't you just slide the core on. It has a key and you just turn the core until it falls in place. To keep the spindle from spinning just put your fingers on the back side of the mag where the knurled inching knob is and that should work. Place the core so the slot where the film goes is facing up. Fold the end of the film about two inches up and crease it, then slide the folded end into the slot so it is double thick into the slot. Now take the short piece that is sticking out and roll it around the core clockwise then make a few winds. This way you won't get a high spot as the film takes up. I know I explained that pretty poorly but it is just like you do a Mitchell mag or a Panavision mag. Also, once the camera starts the spindle turns and it will usually just click into place. Or even simpler, just put the core on in the light.

Edited by Tom Jensen

It's pretty simple. Most Arri lll mags have a collapsible core but the ones that don't you just slide the core on. It has a key and you just turn the core until it falls in place. To keep the spindle from spinning just put your fingers on the back side of the mag where the knurled inching knob is and that should work. Place the core so the slot where the film goes is facing up. Fold the end of the film about two inches up and crease it, then slide the folded end into the slot so it is double thick into the slot. Now take the short piece that is sticking out and roll it around the core clockwise then make a few winds. This way you won't get a high spot as the film takes up. I know I explained that pretty poorly but it is just like you do a Mitchell mag or a Panavision mag. Also, once the camera starts the spindle turns and it will usually just click into place. Or even simpler, just put the core on in the light.

I think you're talking about the side that isn't the take up side. I have no problem rolling the film through and attaching it to the collapseable core. What i'm talking about is the take up side. 400ft rolls of film come already with a core, as you know, this core has a notch in it which is supposed to interconnect with the drive key on the take up side. This is what I'm having trouble with. I think perhaps there is something wrong with the drive key, because it can be depressed regardless of whether the notch interconnects with it or not. I hope this makes sense.

Hi

I've got an arri mag in my hand with what , is probably, the same as your mag. The spindle has a circular spring around it which holds the core tight on it. Plus there is a smallish metal sprung loaded 'nipple'sticking out too. This retracts when you put the core on the spindle...what you have to do, to engage the nipple with the slot in the core, is to push the core onto the spindle fully...then put your finger on the top of the spindle to keep it still and rotate the core until the nipple pops into the cores slot.

I hope this solves your problem.

I second Rob's solution. Seating the roll then keeping two fingers on the spindle and rotating the core until you feel/hear it click into the notch. You'll know it has happened obviously if you can't turn the core independently of the spindle.

Good luck!

35mm sounds like more of a challenge to new AC's on paper, but I find handling 35 vs. 16 is far easier, simply because it's easier to handle for its thicker gauge with less threat of it coning and unspooling from the middle.

• Premium Member

You want to click it in by hand, holding the spindle and film. If it clicks in by running the camera, the force restraining the film is on the perfs at the magazine sprocket. It's not a huge deal, but it is better practice.

-- J.S.