Red Reel

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Bluntly, if you sent your reel to me I'd not bother to look at it because I would assume you are going to try to sell me on using your red camera. I'd also assume your experience was very limited because you have a reel with the one (trendy) format on it. I'd spice it up a little, shoot some Super8 "artsy" shots, which is cheap enough, get rid of that shot at 1:27 and the one before it at least, and go from there.

Bluntly, if you sent your reel to me I'd not bother to look at it because I would assume you are going to try to sell me on using your red camera. I'd also assume your experience was very limited because you have a reel with the one (trendy) format on it. I'd spice it up a little, shoot some Super8 "artsy" shots, which is cheap enough, get rid of that shot at 1:27 and the one before it at least, and go from there.

Thanks mate,

I don't actually own a red camera, these are all jobs I happened to get during 2010 which shot on red, (wish I had 50k for a camera setup but I'm not that well off yet!)

I have shot lots of other formats, I put this reel together cause I seem to be getting some work in this format and as you say, its "trendy" at the moment and for good reason! The idea was to show a degree of "expertises" with the format.

Cheers for the advice tho, I'll defiantly cut a overall reel and put it up!

Foolish, IMO. Better to show expertise lighting, camera blocking, and telling a story than as a technical operator of one camera.

Fair enough. Although "foolish" seems a little harsh!

I hope that some skill in lighting, blocking and storytelling comes across in the reel too! Seems a bit short-sighted to suggest it only shows a technical proficiency with the camera, but each to their own I guess.

As I said before, I have shot lots of other formats, this is just a reel of one. I'll be sure to put an overall reel up when I get back from holiday.

Cheers for the opinion Chris.

Edited by Jonathan Burton

• Premium Member

Fair enough. Although "foolish" seems a little harsh!

I hope that some skill in lighting, blocking and storytelling comes across in the reel too! Seems a bit short-sighted to suggest it only shows a technical proficiency with the camera, but each to their own I guess.

As I said before, I have shot lots of other formats, this is just a reel of one. I'll be sure to put an overall reel up when I get back from holiday.

Cheers for the opinion Chris.

I should have explained more. If I saw a reel titled "RED Reel" among 50 others, I would probably skip it and not even see any of your work. You do have a lot of nice things in there, nobody has to know what format you used to capture those images. You're selling your eyes and your expertise, not a trendy format.

I should have explained more. If I saw a reel titled "RED Reel" among 50 others, I would probably skip it and not even see any of your work. You do have a lot of nice things in there, nobody has to know what format you used to capture those images. You're selling your eyes and your expertise, not a trendy format.

Good point Chris,

Didn't think about the title being off putting. This is why its great to get other opinions!

Cheers dude!

• Premium Member

I'd agree with pulling "red' off of the reel. let the reel show what you can do, and let your resume/cv list what formats you're accomplished on.

I've also seen reels that have a lower third that contains the title of the film, the director, and the acquisition format kind of music video style.