The price of film...

Chris Burke

is low. I bought some 7266 in super 8 for my nephew. Gave him his first camera for christmas, Kinoflex wind up super 8. When ordering from Kodak, I inquired about other product pricing, 7266 in 400 foot cores is .20 per foot, 7222 .19. For a feature or even a short, you could be paying less than fifty cents a foot for film processing and scanning. This is for black and white.

is low. I bought some 7266 in super 8 for my nephew. Gave him his first camera for christmas, Kinoflex wind up super 8. When ordering from Kodak, I inquired about other product pricing, 7266 in 400 foot cores is .20 per foot, 7222 .19. For a feature or even a short, you could be paying less than fifty cents a foot for film processing and scanning. This is for black and white.

I know, it's almost ridiculous, I called kodak, asking about a student discount on 800' of 7213, I assumed they would offer 10% off, to my surprise it was a standard 40% student discount, I guess 16mm and super 8 are gateway drugs and kodak is trying to get me hooked (they've succeeded)

• Premium Member

I know, it's almost ridiculous, I called kodak, asking about a student discount on 800' of 7213, I assumed they would offer 10% off, to my surprise it was a standard 40% student discount, I guess 16mm and super 8 are gateway drugs and kodak is trying to get me hooked (they've succeeded)

Interesting. I thought it was just on the 66 stock since last week I did some pick-ups on it and noticed how cheap it was (even though I wasnt paying). Now if only some smart labs would start deeply discounting HD scans, I think it would help show to a lot of digitally trained students, and directors who can't decide if its worth it, the benefits of film for many projects.

Interesting. I thought it was just on the 66 stock since last week I did some pick-ups on it and noticed how cheap it was (even though I wasnt paying). Now if only some smart labs would start deeply discounting HD scans, I think it would help show to a lot of digitally trained students, and directors who can't decide if its worth it, the benefits of film for many projects.

well said. I think that they will if they want to stay in business. the local post houses in my town are starting to deeply discount scanning, at least for indie projects.

• Premium Member

Post houses need to make the case for color correcting Red and Canon 5D footage. We film lovers know the value of a good colorist and would use one for any type of origination, but there are plenty of young shooters that think they can skip that step and handle it themselves in the digital world.