AGDVX100A squeeze mode

oao

hello, i used the AGDVX100AE squeezedmode at 25p to get the max resolution on the 4/3 ccd i captured it with premiere pro1.5 with the help of the dvstorm2. i get an unsqueezed (not anamorphosed) picture but i get on the dvstorm2 digital and analogical output a squeesed 4/3 picture not letter boxed. Does anyone know how to get a 16/9 pictures. thanks.

• Premium Member

When using the squeeze mode on the DVX100 your actually losing resolution. To obtain maximium resolution with this camera you need to use the Anamorphic Adaptor and set the camera in 4x3 Mode. That way you'll increase resolution by 33%

Actually, you're not necessarily losing resolution. You're just not maximizing it as you would with the adaptor. The squeeze image is derived from the same area of the CCD equivalent to a letterboxed image or shooting in the letterbox mode. The end result will appear no worse or better on a 4:3 display (letterboxed) than if you had shot in letterbox mode. Like Rich said, the adaptor allows you to use the entire CCD (hence 33% more resolution).

As a fellow Canopus user you might want to consider using the Panasonic 24p preset in Premiere rather than Canopus. In any case, try right clicking on the clip in the bin and select "Interpret Footage". Select a widescreen setting from the drop down. This will display the image properly in Premiere, however you'll still need a 16:9 monitor (or a switchable monitor) in order to view the output as a widescreen image on your analog output.

• 2 months later...
Guest asiapacpro

I have heard arguments pro and con for using a 16:9 anamorphic adapter versus the squeeze mode. Someone said it is indistinguishable in 24P but in 60i the squeeze mode produces a stairstep effect. Has anyone experienced this?

Also it's been said that you lose resolution with squeeze. I understood that squeeze uses the entire chip area but processes the pixels so that they can be expanded to full 16:9 Is that not correct? If so, why then would you lose resolution? Also dosn't the Anamorphic lens provide a wider angle of view than the squeeze?

Here is a pro squeeze argument,

The Anamorphic lens bends and distorts the horizontal plane pretty severely at full wide angle when you tilt the camcorder. It looks really bad when this occurs.

The user can not detect the difference in resolution between shooting in Squeeze mode or using the 16x9 Lens adapter as long as you are shooting in 24P.

The user will be able to use any other lens such as a Telephoto or Wide Angle. When you use the Anamorphic Lens Adapter you can not use any other lens with it.

You will not need a specialized Matte Box to fix the abnormal "Square" shape of Panasonics Anamorphic Lens Adapter. Standard Round Opening Matte Boxes work normally.

If any of you have had experience with this please comment.

Guest asiapacpro

I did some expiriments and answered some of my own questions by doing so.

I seems anamorphic is the best way to go.

I tired to attach the picture but I guess I can't post a picture here so go to my website and have a look.

http://approd.com/DVX100_Test.html

• 2 months later...

So when using the anamorphic lens on the DVX100a...

1) Is it proper to then set the camera to "squeeze" mode?

2) How does the image appear on the viewfinder (LCD) is it streched? or is it matted somehow?

3) Then when importing into FCP do we then need to unsquish it?

Thanks, JH