Canon 518 Shooting Irratically

Andy Pabst

I've been shooting on my Canon Auto Zoom 518 for some time now, like 11 rolls worth. It worked flawlessly for some time, but recently this bizarre tick started occurring. About half-way through a roll, the camera will get stuck. I can't push the trigger in and the R/RL/Stop button won't move. However, if I switch over from 18fps to 24fps, it will start shooting, then I can switch it back to 18 and it will work again.

This happens erratically and is unpredictable. As a side note, I did some experimenting. While I was having the problem, I just removed the cartridge and it worked perfectly again.

My first guess is the motor is going, any other ideas?

I'm considering just dumping this guy and picking up something else though, cause the lens threads are messed up and it's just a 518 anyways.

I've been shooting on my Canon Auto Zoom 518 for some time now, like 11 rolls worth. It worked flawlessly for some time, but recently this bizarre tick started occurring. About half-way through a roll, the camera will get stuck. I can't push the trigger in and the R/RL/Stop button won't move. However, if I switch over from 18fps to 24fps, it will start shooting, then I can switch it back to 18 and it will work again.

This happens erratically and is unpredictable. As a side note, I did some experimenting. While I was having the problem, I just removed the cartridge and it worked perfectly again.

I'm considering just dumping this guy and picking up something else though, cause the lens threads are messed up and it's just a 518 anyways.

When was the last time it had a check up? CLA? Most super 8 cameras out there are forty years old and with the newer stocks and carts..... I guess some cameras have trouble pulling the film through. I get the same issues with my Sankyo 255lxl, it is a junky camera, really only good for home movie look, but it works and bands and newly weds love the look, so I am hanging onto it for as long as I can. I do the same thing, pull out the cart and then put it back in, all is good. I would look into another camera, Iike Nizos, but Canon are great also. 814 is a nice step up or if you can 1014 xls

• 8 months later...

Hi Andy,

I know your post was a while ago, but I hope you've still got your 518, because may have a solution for you. I had a similar problem with mine, but my camera seems to have been a little worse than yours; it showed the same symptoms of shooting for a bit and then jamming, without being able to move the R/L button. I figured, since it's broken anyway, why not take it apart and see how much damage I do ;) Turns out, it's actually super easy to repair this issue, at least it was on my example.

There's a little shaft with a worm gear that drives the film take-up and footage indicator; all I did was take it out, lubricate the little brass thrust bearing on the end of the shaft and the camera worked perfectly! You could probably do the repair in 10 or 15 minutes with nothing more than a small Phillips precision screw-driver and a little light oil, say sewing machine oil or something like that. Either 6 or 8 screws, depending on how deep you want to dig.

First you need to take off the top front aluminum cover, the one right above the lens. That's two screws. Next you want to take off the left hand body panel; one of the screws is right above the lens, under the cover that you just took off. Next, open the film door and take out the three little screws that you're looking straight at. Now you can just pop off the left side panel, taking care not to lose the battery test buttons, which are loose. Disassembly complete! Now you're looking at the guts, including the aforementioned little shaft, with a spur gear at the (now that the camera is lying on it's side, handle towards you) left end and a worm gear at the right end. The bearing you want to oil is at the extreme left end of the shaft, next to the spur gear. I made life difficult for myself by taking out the shaft completely, by just taking out the two screws holding the right hand end of the shaft, but you might not even need to do that. Just put a drop of oil on that bearing, slap the camera back together and Robert will be your father's brother. Seriously, the hardest part was getting the cover back on with the battery test buttons in the right place. My camera has been purring along with no problems ever since. Let me know if you want to do the repair and have any more questions!

Cheers,

Dave

post-53322-0-61466500-1316463408.jpg

post-53322-0-14552800-1316463419.jpg