Sound on cinevator

Roman Dymny

Hello Everyone

I'm a sound re-recording mixer. I have to mix a movie that will be transferred to film with cinevator, with direct positive print. But I'm wondering if the optical transfert of sound will be the same as usual. Has anybody any experience of sound optical transfert with Cinevator? Are thoses transfert the same than traditionnal ones?

Thanks

Roman Dymny

From what I recall you don't need a sound neg, but I'd assume you need same mix and Dolby that you'd use for any other print. I'd check with whoever is doing the transfer what they require, for example they may be able to do the Dolby.

Preety sure thats right, the soundtrack is printed at the same time as the picture, straight to print, and can be analogue or dolby digital. You prepare the soundtracks in the same way but you just avoid the need for a sound neg.

Worth checking with the cinevator operators you are using tho.

love

Freya

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your answers.

I think also it is logical that there is no "special" mix for cinevator, because the print is supposed to be the same than one made with traditionnal film transfert... but some cinevator operator wanted me to make a special mix... with severe limitation of the analog mix!! (not good for sound!)

• Premium Member

Optical tracks on 16mm aren't exactly high fidelity in general I believe.

I read that some 16mm film-makers have experimented with recording a DTS time code sync track in place of the analog optical sound track. On paper, it should work. In practice? Who knows.

DTS System