What is BAC Cable?

Daniel Smith

Hi,

Excuse the simplistic question but I can't find this anywhere, what is BAC cable?

It's used in various studios, I used it in shepperton where we fed three phase .2 BAC into 63a breakout boxes, but, what is BAC? What does it stand for, who distributes it?

Thanks.

No it wasn't C-form, it's similar to camlock and powerlock, I've since found this document on it: http://www.stagesafe.co.uk/user_files/Changes.pdf (Type 1 connector)

Not that it matters.. I just thought for something that's used in larger studios (all over Shepperton) for power distribution there would be more information on it, no one really seems to know where it comes from, it's just, there.

What is the logic behind using blue or black to designate the neutral? Is that practice common anywhere outside of the U.K. and it's former colonies? The new style keyed connectors are a good idea, an attempt to make things idiot proof.

I can't understand the new colour coding in the UK. I'm sure there's a good reason behind it but, red yellow blue and black for neutral was pretty unmistakable, brown grey black and blue are difficult to see in low light and could be mistaken. Colours degrade over time and especially in dirty studio environments. And getting things wrong with 400a three phase isn't funny or clever.

I can't understand the new colour coding in the UK. I'm sure there's a good reason behind it...

I don't think there was any logic behind the change - just necessary for the UK to fall into line with what Europe wants to do.

Unfortunately in the real world it just means everyone has to learn two systems, and as for the 'blue' and 'black' having now swapped functions... :rolleyes:

• Premium Member

The new (well, not so new now) 3-phase wiring in the UK is downright dangerous.

Single phase 240V was always blue (neutral) and brown (live), whereas 3-phase was red, yellow and blue, with earth being green or green and yellow in all cases.

As our previous correspondent correctly points out, black, grey, brown and blue, in concert with a huge installed base of red yellow and blue, is just absolutely crazy. I don't think anyone believes it's anything other than a terrible idea.

P