Sound proofing

Justin Ciminero

I'm looking to sound proof my noisy bolex camera for sync recording. Does anyone know a flexible material I can tailor & wrap around the camera; reducing the noise to almost 0db? Keep in mind this camera is so loud, a shotgun mic can pick it up 20ft away facing the other direction.

You won't get it to Odb, even the best silent motion picture cameras only manage 19 dbA.

There are so many ways sound can leak, that I don't think there are any flexible materials that will do more than reduce the sound level. I built a blimp for a Bolex and it was still louder than any 1960s camera silent 16mm camera - it was at best mid thirties dbA (it was never tested).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Yea, the Bolex (except for the Bolex Pro, which really wasn't a Bolex) is LOUD. I have never heard of anyone building a truly effective blimp, it would just about always be cheaper and better to shoot with a camera designed to be silent.

"flexible material I can tailor & wrap around the camera; reducing the noise to almost 0db?"

That would be a "barney." And they will not silence an MOS camera like a Bolex. Custom Upholstery Products makes barneys for all sorts of film cameras. He has a secret blend of materials (including lead foil I believe) he uses to deaden sound. It will help but not eliminate noise. He made one for my Kinor 35H, a "silent" camera at about 32db, but too noisy in small reflective rooms. CUP's barney brings the noise level down to acceptable in these cases.

In general I think you'd be better off with an Arriflex 16BL, an Eclair ACL or NPR or a Cinema Products CP16R. They are all quite cheap these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you have a picture of the blimp you built?

Sorry, it was years ago, but it did look like something from the 1930s or 40s and was made from chipboard. There was a base and back piece, while the main cover slide forward. The camera was mounted on a metal plate that was mounted on rubber mounts - I seem to recall these being car exhaust suspension mounts. The clear glass was in the front of the main cover and there was a metal sunshade fitted to the front.

It was a pain to use and in the end most of the film was shot with an Arri 16BL and that was a breeze by comparison.

• 9 months later...