Jane Eyre

Hello

I just saw this movie last night and I was incredibly surprised by the cinematography. Wonderful colors and camera movements, very original. I was wondering about the candle light scenes. There are some shots where the charachters are walking and they are lit only by the candle in their hand. Now, It's not a simulated light, the light is coming from the candle in my opinion. My question is, do they have special candles? From IMDB I read that they used 35 mm (Fuji Eterna 400T 8583). How they did that? I rememeber the old discussions about Kubrick's Barry Lindon and special lenses...but I don't think this is the case...

any ideas?

• Premium Member

Hello

I just saw this movie last night and I was incredibly surprised by the cinematography. Wonderful colors and camera movements, very original. I was wondering about the candle light scenes. There are some shots where the charachters are walking and they are lit only by the candle in their hand. Now, It's not a simulated light, the light is coming from the candle in my opinion. My question is, do they have special candles? From IMDB I read that they used 35 mm (Fuji Eterna 400T 8583). How they did that? I rememeber the old discussions about Kubrick's Barry Lindon and special lenses...but I don't think this is the case...

any ideas?

Looked like they were using double-wicked candles and fast lenses. Some shots looked push-processed or were brought up in the D.I. Yes, I liked that use of candles in the movie.

Kubrick used triple-wicked candles and a lens that opened to f/0.7, on 100 ASA film stock pushed to 200 ASA. So you can get the same exposure today at 800 ASA with a lens that opens to f/1.4.

• 3 weeks later...

Looked like they were using double-wicked candles and fast lenses. Some shots looked push-processed or were brought up in the D.I. Yes, I liked that use of candles in the movie.

Kubrick used triple-wicked candles and a lens that opened to f/0.7, on 100 ASA film stock pushed to 200 ASA. So you can get the same exposure today at 800 ASA with a lens that opens to f/1.4.

David, I am wondering how 800 ASA would look with a f/0.7 lens. That would be ridiculous! Or on an Epic shooting 1600 ISO. Photograph in actual moonlight, possibly?

I thought that Jane Eyre was beautifully shot, although I did notice that the handheld work on some scenes felt wrong--I believe you mentioned something about the handheld work in one of your other posts. It would have reflected so much more of a serene feel with a steadicam or simply a lockoff.

I always love seeing these sort of romantic period films - the colors, naturalistic lighting, landscapes, costumes, everything is always so pleasurable to watch.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Was never able to et into period dramas. Held no interest for me at all.

That's like saying you can't get interested in history... that's a huge chunk of cinema and literature. Just because people are in costume or it is set in the past, it becomes irrelevant to you? Can't watch Shakespeare adaption? A Civil War drama? "Citizen Kane"? "Lawrence of Arabia"? If it's set in the past, it has to be a comedy or an action film? Can't watch any adaption of dramatic literature unless they update it to modern times? 99% of all literature was written in the past. Technically, even "All the President's Men" is a period drama now. So what's the cut-off point where you can't get into it? 1930? 1910? 1880?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I love historical movies such as the classics Bridge Over The River Kwai, Lawrence Of Arabia and Zulu. It's the Jane Austin stuff I cannot stomach.

That's a lot narrower range than the term "period drama" covers.

That could just be a bloke thing.

I think you may well be right. When I was forced to sit through Sex And The City, I swear I could feel my gonads shrinking and breasts developing. Scary. I had to watch Aliens V's Predator and Hitman to "man myself up again"