Filters

Alain LeTourneau

I'm looking at buying some filters and wondered "does it really matter what I put in front of the lens?" I don't really have experience with filters other than the wratten filters I use with my Bolex and the Tiffens and Hoyas I used in 35mm still photography.

Can some filters cut down on image sharpess, or create other aberrations?

Tiffen, Hoya, B+W, Minolta, Konica, Harrsion, Leica, etc.

Does it matter what I buy? Be curious to hear some opinions about this matter. Or references to books or articles that discuss this in some detail.

Alain

• Premium Member

Well yes it does matter; you are placing glass in front of your lens.

Some filters are designed to cut down on image sharpness such as diffusion filters.

Others are designed to bring down light levels, color the image, or polarize light.

Tiffen and Schneider are somewhat industry standards.

I personally prefer Schneider filters, as they use optical grade glass.

Your image is going to be as good as your weakest element. So if the filter is of higher quality than your lens, then there is no need to use better filters, the inverse is true as well.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

Two excellent sources to learn more about filters are the books "Image Control: Motion Picture and Video Camera Filters and Lab Techniques" by Gerald Hirschfield, and the American Cinematographers Manual.

There's also some great information and comparison photos on the Tiffen filter website.

IMO, one of the best ways to learn about filters is to shoot your own tests and keep notes.

You NEED a UV filter. Keep it on the lens if possible. This protects the lens, is easier and cheaper to clean than the lens glass itself, and removes UV rays which can haze your image.

You should have a 80x and an 85x for color correction depending on the stock. You should also have Neutral Density filters, these bring down the light in the equivelent of F or T stops, allowing you to simply open the iris more, or use faster stock.

Good optionals: Polarizer can be very useful for practically eliminating glare on reflective surfaces like glass, and really richening colors, especially the sky. Pro Mist/Black Pro Mist and variants can give interesting side effects, the create the Barbara Walters/Martha Stewart soft look. Starburst can make reflections give off a star type lens flare.

There are many more filters for effects, some have since been rendered mostly obsolete with the invent of Digital Intermediate.

Nevertheless, getting the right look while shooting is better than fixing it in post.

Edited by Trevor Greenfield

I appreciate all the respsones, but perhaps I should rephrase my question...

Of course, I know I should and can use filters for effect. I've been shooting with filters for the last 10 years. However, I have alway used Tiffen and Kodak Wratten filters, and when I did commerical AC work using B+W, Schneider, and Harrison filter I almost never saw the results of the work. I was an hired AC, hired to assist the shooter, not a shooter myself.

So, my own personal experience has been limited to my own personal shooting (with a Bell & Howell DR70, Bolex RX-5 and SBM, CP-16A, Eclair NPR, SR1). I have always used Kodak Wratten filters (behind the lens) with Bolex cameras and always used Tiffen filters with the cameras listed in addition to the Bolex.

I wondered what experience of others has been with the more expensive brands of filter out there and if the quality justified the cost - B+W, Schneider, etc. ???

Thanks,

Alain

• Premium Member

As I said, I use mostly Schneider filters because I find their quality to be superior to Tiffen.

I don?t usually shoot through a UV filter because I don?t like to have glass over the lens for no reason. Sometimes on day EXT work I will use one to cut down on the blue haze.

Schneider uses optical glass where Tiffen does not, thus you get a bit of green in the image.

If the project is destined to live in video than the difference in quality between the above brands will really be null. They are all pretty good filters.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

I've used Tiffen filters for over a decade and never noticed any greeness to my images; as for diffusion filters, obviously optical perfection is irrelevent. I don't think it really matters which professional line of glass filters you use if they create the look you want.

• Premium Member

I agree with you David. As I said, it is a bit like splitting hairs when you get into that quality of filter, be it Tiffen or Schneider.

I have noticed a very subtle green(ish) hue in the filters. I am told this is because of the glass they use. I'll buy it (because I have seen it with my own eyes).

As I said, this is very subtle, and Tiffen makes excellent filters. I use them myself, but I tend to use Schneider more. Mainly because I like their frost filters.

Kevin Zanit

Thanks Kevin and David. I was looking for comments from people who have had experience with a variety of filters, as I have not.

One more question. B+W was bought by Schneider back in 1985. Does this mean that Schneider only makes filters under the B+W brand, or does there remain a separate branch (or company) that makes Schneider brand filters?

Much appreciated,

Alain