Tripod question.

Not unless you've got a bowl adapter that fits the screws. I'd buy tripod legs with a bowl, trying to level legs without a proper levelling system is just a total pain, so I'd check out good quality used legs with a bowl if it's a cost issue.

That type of mount is called a bowl, which usually comes in 75, 100 and 150mm sizes. The tripod legs are for still camera use and do indeed have a flat base for mounting heads, but nether are compatible, not that you'd want them to be. Tripods designed for still cameras are very inadequate for use in video, due to their single-shaft construction and the lack of a spreader, additionally they generally have a lighter payload capacity.

Not unless you've got a bowl adapter that fits the screws. I'd buy tripod legs with a bowl, trying to level legs without a proper levelling system is just a total pain, so I'd check out good quality used legs with a bowl if it's a cost issue.

I'd recommend that too. Using a poor or makeshift tripod is a sure fire way of infuriating yourself with equally bad footage.

I'd recommend that too. Using a poor or makeshift tripod is a sure fire way of infuriating yourself with equally bad footage.

Thanks for your reply guys.

I asked this because I have a manfrotto 501 hdv head and cullmann legs. I love the cullman legs. They are very tough. I can also make them very tall or short but i hate the manfrotto 501 hdv head. It not a very good head. I also have a miller tripod which is incredibaly smooth but very old. It's very hard and vibrates so its not so good for dollies. It doesn't get very tall or short so i can't use it in all the shots i wish. I was hoping to buy another miller head and place it on a cullmann legs.

The old option would be to get something like the miller solo legs which would be as practical as my cullmann but they are very expansive!

Perhaps there are some good heads you could recommend that would fit on the cullmann photography legs (Which i think are targeted at video makers).

Perhaps there are some good heads you could recommend that would fit on the cullmann photography legs (Which i think are targeted at video makers).

Just looking at their site, I don't see any tripods which would take what I'd call a good video head. These all have levelling bowls in the sizes previously mentioned. The fact that they call them photography legs indicates their target market. You'd need a robust column to avoid vibration and whipping.

I'd check out used tripod legs.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

Miller used to make a very solid carbon fibre set of sticks to go with their bowl heads. I travelled abroad with them shooting a doco a few years ago and they were great. Much nicer to use than the manfrotto sticks.

What head did you use with those miller sticks?

• 3 months later...