Sony's New F65 - 8K 20M-Pixel CMOS imager

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

Phil, you need to go to 5K to see any benefits from that far away. ;)

Of course since the new Sony has an 8K sensor, it'll still be fine when the upgrades to theater screens comes and 70ft. heights are the new standard.

Blah blah blah. Let's get 4K Projectors before we go throwing around 8K cameras (well, except for IMAX, 70mm 5-perf. etc.) BTW. This is an unpopular thing to say, but, you can fit more than 4K worth of information onto pesky old 35mm print stock. (Camera stock is another matter unless you're talking about 50- or 64D stocks.)

• Premium Member

Well, it's not strictly an 8K camera. It has an 8K bayer pattern sensor (or is it actually Bayer? I'd have to check, actually).

In any case, it's subsampled, so they've decided to be honest and output it at 4K. This is good.

Demos were projected from Sony SXRD (basically, LCOS) 4K projectors.

• Premium Member

It has an 8K bayer pattern sensor (or is it actually Bayer? I'd have to check, actually).

It's their new pattern, Bayer rotated 45 degrees. They call it "Q67" -- or at least they did last year when they talked about it at VTP. Seems like a good idea, unless your movie is about chain link fences.... ;-)

We need to come up with a name for it, maybe diagonal Bayer? Of course, it's not really corner to corner.... Rotated Bayer?

-- J.S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Have they mentioned the absolute size of the sensor or what lenses will work on it? Maybe I'm a bit thick but I couldn't find anything on Sony's website.

Edited by Tristan Noelle

• Premium Member

I believe it's Super-35mm sized, hence any good old cine lens should work.

That's correct. The question was asked at their pre-NAB show at VTP. The use of "65" had some people worried that it would need bigger glass.

-- J.S.