Filming in Paris, France

Rudolf Tittelbach

I'll be staying in Paris for a few days in May and want to shoot some Super8. I would like to know whether it is film-safe over there, do they x-ray luggages on entry to tourist places like Eiffel tower or Disneyland? If they do can you ask them to hand-check your films? Also are there any shops I could buy Super8 film-stock and then have it processed so I don't have to worry about x-raying on airports? I'll be happy for any answer or suggestion, thank you

I'll be staying in Paris for a few days in May and want to shoot some Super8. I would like to know whether it is film-safe over there, do they x-ray luggages on entry to tourist places like Eiffel tower or Disneyland? If they do can you ask them to hand-check your films? Also are there any shops I could buy Super8 film-stock and then have it processed so I don't have to worry about x-raying on airports? I'll be happy for any answer or suggestion, thank you

If you are in USA you better buy them there. You will not find them at the same price in Europe. Likely far more expensive. Even more so in a brick and mortar shop.

Depending where you are you could consider ordering from Andec, send exposed film to them for processing etc from where you are and have it returned to your home address. Buying in Paris will be terribly expensive and possible at only a few locations.

To my knowledge your personal items will not be x-rayed at Paris tourist sites. I never experienced anything like that. Not even in september 2001.

One or two airport x-ray scans will not damage your films. It is a myth.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

• 2 weeks later...

I traveled to Paris with lots of film last November. I was easy leaving the states, I had my film in hand, said "excuse me, can you please hand-check this, it's x-ray sensitive" and they did. Getting out of Paris however was NOT easy. They made me stand aside for over a half hour while they did who the **(obscenity removed)** knows what. But yes, keep your film away from the x-ray machine! They'll check it properly. I swear they thought the super 8 cartridges were a bomb or something.

One or two airport x-ray scans will not damage your films. It is a

myth

Likely they made you stand there because of the tone of your language.

Also it is about as travellers are treated when entering the USA. But then all of them :)

Edited by Andries Molenaar

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with Andries, if you are in the USA, you should buy your film there. They are certainly cheaper than in France.

However, if you still want to buy your film in Paris, here are the addresses I've found inside the website of a service provider, Family Movie Transfert Film Super 8, into his useful resources page :