Roger Deakins

John Holland

Me and a few others on this site went to a B.S.C event in London to watch " The Shawshank Redemption " followed by a interview/chat with Roger Deakins B.S.C. A.S.C . He said he didnt think he would be shooting film again , he so happy with Alexa which he will use on Bond 23 . It was a bit of shock to many people i talked to after . I did have a chat with Roger and he is very ,very happy with what he is doing .

• Premium Member

That's really all that matters. If he's happy with what he's got, and the directors are too; then what's the issue? If I had a shoot where the Alexa was working for what I wanted, I'd use it too. I doubt, though, that in situations where he really thinks film will be better that he wouldn't use it. I don't want to call him a liar, and I'm not, just rather that at present he's happy. Doesn't mean he can't change his mind later on. For record, I was unhappy with RED when RED came out. Now that they finally got some stuff working; I'd be happy to shoot on it, when/if it was appropriate. Times change, as do tastes and opinions.

Despite what you may have heard, today isn't the rapture.

It was a bit of shock to many people i talked to after . I did have a chat with Roger and he is very ,very happy with what he is doing .

Even though I don't share his excitement for this new tool (and since I'm a nobody, it doesn't really matter), obviously he's a Master and can do whatever he wants with whatever tool he finds appropriate. I'm sure he'll do great work with Alexa or any other digital camera just like he did on film for the first 30 years of his stellar career. If you follow his blog, you can see his admiration for Alexa has been there from the very moment he first tried the camera. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the cinematographers who strongly pushed Arri to go ahead and develop the Alexa "Studio" camera.

I have yet to meet Roger Deakins, which would be amazing, but if the tools are available to help portray the story with the type of format to shoot with maybe the Alexa has the color grade and the right reason for what he was shooting. Roger loved the final outcome of the film and the alexa may stick with him or maybe it is a awesome new camera that is something different from shooting 35mm film.