Super 8, anyone hear anything?

I've been seeing commercials for this movie for the last few weeks. I'm a big Spielberg fan and even though, I'm not a huge Abrams fan, this thing looks interesting although I can't quite figure out what it's about. Near as I can deduce without going to IMDB and looking it up, is it's about a powerful telekinetic, invisible alien that escapes from a government military train and starts to take over the world. Has anyone heard anything about it yet? B)

At first, I heard it was about a supposed accident (involving an automobile or train or something like that) captured by chance on super 8 film by some kids. Don't know if there are any fatalities. Then supposedly, evidence emerges that it may not have been an accident after all - that there could have been some sort of cover up - maybe even a government conspiracy. Almost sounds like the Zapruder incident with JFK in 1963...only that was captured on regular 8mm.

Now, it seems that there is so much more to this film! From watching the ads, it seems apparent that there is a science fiction element. In any case, I am a super 8 enthusiast and and will certainly look forward to watching this movie. In any case, I probably know enough about it already...I don't want any plot spoilers.

Edited by Patrick Cooper

• Premium Member

Not entirely related to your question: I was dropping off some film at Pro8mm the other day and apparently they worked with the production in many ways and the 8mm footage in the movie is real, which is good to hear.

I was dropping off some film at Pro8mm the other day and apparently they worked with the production in many ways and the 8mm footage in the movie is real, which is good to hear.

Hmmm....I wonder what film stock they were shooting on. Of course, it would be entirely different to what people were shooting on back in the day (1970s era.) I only know of one colour reversal stock available in super 8 in this day and age and that is of course Ektachrome 100D. Would certainly give a vibrant retro look if that's what they're aiming for with regards to the kids' footage.

Not entirely related to your question: I was dropping off some film at Pro8mm the other day and apparently they worked with the production in many ways and the 8mm footage in the movie is real, which is good to hear.

I was wondering if they will used any real S8 but only see 35mm listed at IMDB.

• Premium Member

Sounds like the 13 and 19 Kodak stocks were shot and scanned on Pro8's HD rig. Not too much film was used however, he was guessing 10-15 rolls at most. Some was done on a Canon 1014xls and some was shot on an unknown camera the production had already. S16 was also used.