Question About Loading 16mm 100-ft. Daylight Reels

I am looking at buying a 400' can of Vision 800t (or EXR; I forget which) off of eBay to use with my camera, which only takes the 100' daylight spools. I'm new to doing this, and the film's single-perf, so my question is how do I go about doing this? Do I wind it emulsion-side-up, and what side should the perfs be on?

If it helps the answer, the cameras in question are a Krasnogorsk-3 and a Bell and Howell 240EE.

I am looking at buying a 400' can of Vision 800t (or EXR; I forget which) off of eBay to use with my camera, which only takes the 100' daylight spools. I'm new to doing this, and the film's single-perf, so my question is how do I go about doing this? Do I wind it emulsion-side-up, and what side should the perfs be on?

If it helps the answer, the cameras in question are a Krasnogorsk-3 and a Bell and Howell 240EE.

Try this thread.

The info I posted on this thread might also be of interest.

Also discussed in this thread.

If it hasn't already been explicity mentioned in the above links, then you'll find the film on the core is wound with the emulsion faced inwards, and you want to wind it face-in on the daylight spool as well. With the full reel of unexposed film sitting in the top position of the camera you need the perfs to be at the bottom (ie. furthest away from the removable 'door'), and the film to be unwinding off the bottom of the spool like this > ____O

Only other thing is to ensure you are in a totally dark place! ;)

...and be methodical about where you place things so you can find them just by feel in the dark. B)

• Premium Member

One should note the 800 EXR, being a very very very old stock, may not be worthwhile to shoot at all. I would send it to a lab for a snip test, and if I were to use it (again at all, as I've shot super expired 800T as well) rate it at 320 ASA.... Even then, who knows the potential results.

Get some 100' spools, a changing bag, scissors and some alone time. I've done this before, transferred 5 400' cans to 20 daylight spools w/cases and tape. Run the emulsion side down and your perfs will line up as needed. Also, don't forget a small pair scissors to snip at the end of each 100' segment. Good luck and when you take a break, do it between spools. Good Luck.

Get some 100' spools, a changing bag, scissors and some alone time. I've done this before, transferred 5 400' cans to 20 daylight spools w/cases and tape. Run the emulsion side down and your perfs will line up as needed. Also, don't forget a small pair scissors to snip at the end of each 100' segment. Good luck and when you take a break, do it between spools. Good Luck.

Thanks for all the advice. Sadly, i didn't move fast enough and someone else got it. But I've got my eyes on a similar tin of Vision 250D.

Also, I finally took delivery of the four rolls of EXR 500T 7298 I won off of eBay last week. How would I go about snip-testing them?

I wonder why Kodak stopped putting expiration dates on their stock...

• 3 weeks later...

Just send the whole can to the lab, they'll cut it off and may even respool it for you too ;) Communication is key.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do that instead.

BTW, I may not need the snip test after all. I developed one of the rolls of '98 I just got, and the guy said that there was a slight amount of fogging--much less than he might have expected for fast film of indeterminate age and/or storage conditions.

I did this quite a bit on one project I did a few years ago.

Here's my advice:

Don't do this in a changing bag, I'd guess it's probably physically impossible.

You want to set up your rewinds & all gear in a 100% dark room.

Practice a 'dry run' in the dark. It's a lot more difficult than it sounds!

I was able to get my bathroom dark at night, putting rolled up towels across the crack under the door, blanket off the window, etc.

Remember, it's a two stage process:

You are rolling from the 400's to the 100's, then BACK to 100's, so your emulsion will be facing the right direction.

I made this mistake, shot some film, and broke out in a cold sweat and nearly fainted, when the lab called and said "Hey, your footage is blood red, upside down, and running backwards".

That's one of those mistakes you don't make twice!

Matt Pacini