Action safe markers

Hey guys,

Quick question for you. When monitoring for broadcast HD output, what aspect ratio do you set your action safe markers for? I did a shoot and almost got burned by the headroom. We fixed it in post but Im just curious.

• Premium Member

Hey guys,

Quick question for you. When monitoring for broadcast HD output, what aspect ratio do you set your action safe markers for? I did a shoot and almost got burned by the headroom. We fixed it in post but Im just curious.

There is very little & sometimes zero cut off on a modern flat panel.

Thanks for the reply. When I said that I almost got burned, it was a call from the director who was freaking because the head room dipped very close to the top of the action safe lines overlaid in After Effects. I asked if he'd tried it on an actual TV but at the time he had not. Never got any angry calls from the client and all of the spots have run on TV to I think Im safe, just wanted to know what you all do.

• Premium Member

Thanks for the reply. When I said that I almost got burned, it was a call from the director who was freaking because the head room dipped very close to the top of the action safe lines overlaid in After Effects. I asked if he'd tried it on an actual TV but at the time he had not. Never got any angry calls from the client and all of the spots have run on TV to I think Im safe, just wanted to know what you all do.

TV's used to have a huge amount of cut off, so action safe was important. If the clip is used on the web there will ber zero cut off. In any case why should heads not be cut some of the time especially when bald!