Super 8 stock free to good home

Phil Rhodes

• Premium Member

Hi,

I just came across two carts of Vision 200T neg and one Kodachrome 40.

Been in a loft in the dark and (usually reasonably) cool for at least 3 years. I presume the Kodachrome is irrelevant now that it can't be processed.

If there's any chance of it being any use to anyone, please let me know and you can have it for cost of shipping.

P

• Premium Member

Spectra film in Hollywood will process K40 film as a black and white negative but it's ridiculously expensive and has a 3 month turnaround. But if your stock is free...awesome! I would take it off your hands but I don't have an S8 camera anymore :(

Hi, film stored in a loft (attic) can most often be subjected to high heat in summer periods, and this will have very damaging effects on photographic film. But, if for some reason it was air conditioned and has been cool, the KODACHROME if of late manufacture might still be okay (albeit only processable in some variation of B&W: high contrast neg, continous tone neg, B&W Reversal, or Sepia tone reversal). The color negative stocks are more critical and should've been refridgerated at the very least for such a long duration. However, despite some contrast loss, fog build up, and some color shifting, you might still get something useable for experimentation out of them.

Since this information on processing KODACHROME is somewhat hard to find, I have to mention it here, that I offer processing of these films at Plattsburgh Photographic Services. So many now think all KODACHROME is a lost cause, and that is not the case. There must still be tons of SOUND film out there, while no longer processable as Color Reversal, it's great having sound film in B&W (or the rich deep brown tones of Sepia). Anyhow, enough of the plug, I don't care if anyone sends me film for processing or not, the main issue is....IF the KODACHROME is still good, it can be used and processed. Hopefully soon, there will be some affordable processing by a major lab somewhere....so keep it on ice so to speak and DO NOT toss it out!

• 1 month later...