Super 8 Anamorphic Test

Moises Perez

• Premium Member

How was the film actually "scanned". There appears to be a blue halo in some of the images and the wider images are pretty soft. I wonder if you can get a better result with the same piece of film if you alter some aspect of the transfer workflow.

If you just transferred your film straight to betacam sp, it would look sharper I'm sure. I understand the idea is to have super-8 work within the HD aspect ratio, but if doing that gives one a softer image than going to betacam sp, then there probably is a better approach to take.

Hi Alessandro,

The film was scanned using a Milllenium II machine. I got an uncompressed 1920 x 1080 444 RGB 10-Bit Direct-to-disk file. I believe that the softness is due to the fact that it is very hard to focus using the anamorphic adaptor. I'm very interested to project the uncompressed final file onto a big screen, in a theater. I don't know whether the compression added any artifacts. I have no idea where the blue halo comes from. You might be right about going straight to betacam sp, specially because it is cheaper. But I haven't done that for this test.