2 x 125W Lights with soft Boxes, good idea?

I am currently doing a bunch of small projects in order to help build my portfolio. I decided to invest in some low budget continuous lighting kit, reasoning that Its smarter to rent for more serious projects instead. So Im currently looking at

2x125 Lights with soft boxes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Photography-Studio-Continuous-lighting-soft-light-kit-/170646641047?pt=UK_Photography_StudioEquipment_RL&hash=item27bb551997#ht_3535wt_907

Knock off red head kit getting it with soft boxes

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/800W-Red-Head-video-Dimmer-Lighting-Lamp-ianiro-arri-/120749606474?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1d3cc64a#ht_6282wt_1141

Is this a good idea?

Dj

it's ulimately up to you, but in looking at lights, try to get some lights that can be used in several different situation....soft boxes I love for great soft key lighting, but they have no barns doors built in to shape the light or cut the light, unless you buy some flags or black wrap.....Red Heads I've worked with and they are good, since you can diffuse the lights with regular diffusion or maybe wax-paper, plus you can use three lights for three point lighting and control the lights with barndoors...ebay is always a interesting way to buy, but I'd go thru a dealer to get a warrantee on them.....but ebay is cheaper, you might get cheap lighting (???)...it's also been said too it's not the type of equipment you have, it's how creatively you use them....

That'd depend the situation you want to create. CFL deliver a good quality, plus the softboxes it should look great, you can also choose the color temperature since they come with different colors. Pros: Requires less power, does not heat up like the traditional lamps, longer lifetime. Cons: Not dimable. Even it runs on high-frequency, it still cant be used for high-speed purpose. Has an output limit (unlike other light sources)

As for the tungsten kit with softbox, i think is a terrible idea, why? because tungsten lamps heat up fast and can reach high temperature, you are literally having ovens there. Not sure if those softboxes are built to resist the heat that tungsten lamps generate, even they do, when you shoot indoor you will have to consider to get some venting system to cool them off. Pros: Higher output. Cons: High power consume. Generate heat.

You should really look into what you are going to do, then decide what to get. But i recommend you to get both so you have more choice for the future.