ever get depressed looking at one's work?

The good news is that almost no one sees these bad low budget films.

But to protect my work on the better ones, I've learned to color grade them myself. Sure, it may take longer than the shooting, but I've become a better cinematographer through the process.

• Premium Member

David - this is a good thing. It's shows progression and a willingness to change. I hate everything I do, pretty much. And that's what keeps me going, I suppose. Taste and what's good is an ever-shifting thing. It's like fashion, just like Fincher said. I'd stay clear of a DP who's taste hadn't changed over the years. Nobody is fully formed straight out of the gate.

Since January I have written and directed five short films. Two on DSLR and three on Super8. One of the Super8's was for the Straight8 and they screened it in London last week. Too bad I couldn't attend.

After-Set.com hosted a screening for three of my shorts last Friday night and the place was packed. That was on me. I had to fill the place so I got word out as best I could. Every seat was filled.

Other than one individual, everyone donated their time for the projects. I was quite fortunate and despite none of the final films being perfect (what short films ever are), I am thrilled with the results. My screening not only went well, it was a huge success. The three shorts were comedies and we had laughter from start to finish. Believe me, I have sat through countless screenings in NYC that fell flat. That was not the case here.

Unfortunately, neither of the DSLR shorts have been properly graded because I just don't have the money. Literally, I cannot afford to have it done. How I wish I could change that.

The super8 film shown on Friday, MISCOMMUNICATIONS, was from 1080p uncompressed QuickTime transferred at Lightpress and they delivered wonderful looking scans. Truly marvelous, so we left them virtually untouched.

Good work can come out of no budget productions when the people involved are trying hard and have some experience. Please understand that no budget doesn't mean nothing was spent. I spent a ton and now I am damned near homeless.

My pal set up a camera to record the audience and this little clip tells it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lin3R4JXaPc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

There have been many instances where I've gone back and looked at a steadicam shot I did maybe 6 months or a year before and cringed. Many times I think, "Geez, I don't remember the shot being that bad!" 12 years into my steadicam career I still look back at shots I did and think, "Hmm, that could have been better" all the time. Just today I watched a rough cut of a commercial I did a month or two ago and I found parts of shots I'd like to change.

There have also been instances when I thought a shot didn't turn out so well and then I was happily surprised when I saw it later. Sometimes I see a cringeworthy shot and realize that they've used a bad take. Sometimes the take they use is literally the worst take we did! I know there are other elements involved (those pesky actors) other than just how well executed a shot is, that cause directors and editors to choose a particular take, and luckily these days my worst takes are better than my best takes were 12 years ago.

I have also learned, being a full-time DP now for 5 yrs (currently outside Hollywood/NY), that ANY DP is HIS own worst enemy when it comes to being your own critic. Being confident about ones ability is a given, but not the ego it might also bring, since then you will get more angry than depressed when a shot or shoot does go right. I've shot some award winning work, from 1/2 hour prime-time programs to doc's (local productions) and I have often cringed at how I shot something when looking back at my work. I agree with you all, big problems are time and money....I've worked with vastly different equipment from BetaSP to DVCAM to P2 and now SxS cards, (lightweight to heavy cameras)....seems the problems don't go away, just changed to different people and locations and equipment....

Even though I haven't been depressed at my work, in looking back on it, I " wished " I would done something different, like shot from different angles or lit from the other side or something....what makes me angry though, is often on location, shooting as a one-man band (camera/lighting/audio) and not being able to get THE shot you want, but going w/the shot you have, to make sure you HAVE the shot in the can....afterwards, showing the Executive Producers your work, hoping they like it. I've been studying Çinematographer (all aspects) for the last 20 yrs, so it's very personal to me, so when people critique my work, it's personal !!! (not a good thing)....the feeling of failure however does come to mind on a shots I know I can do better, but given a rush shoot (run & gun) or just shooting an event with no second takes, failure creeps in to my head, NOT depression....Depression only comes when I'm NOT working, due to being terminated or being laid off, which has happened before.....