looking for 16 mm with highspeed function

Bastian Traunfellner

hey ppl..

some questions raised in the last few month whilst reading and searchin the net.

I am planning on shooting a short - but since I don't want to go for dslr quality and probably having issues with de-wobbeling the rolling shutter on high open aperture I want to call a 16 mm my own.

I've looked through the bolex cameras and like the way I can just film with 24fps and up to 64fps.

that's exactly what I am looking for.

Is there any alternatives on which I might also get really good lenses? No doubt there are nice c-mount lenses out there, but maybe there's a small handy 16mm with pl mount? keep in mind I need high speed opportunity.

also I want to go underwater and therefore when filming 64fps I might need a 1.2 or 0.95 lens to get the stock litten well, therefore the camera should be small.

One important thing though aswell is portability - is it easy to travel as regular economy passenger with a 16mm camera in lets say a pelican 1600 case? (http://pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1600)

ah and last but not least.

I have never filmed 16mm - is it worth kicking dslrs and going for expensive film roll and fullhd scans? I have to admit - the dslr is not anough quality for me and the images look flat and don't satisfy me.. But maybe I'm wrong? with 16mm can I also do a 4k scan?

thanks for answering my questions.

• Premium Member

Everything depends on budget but the the stock professional answer would probably be an Arri SR High Speed... it will get you up to 150 fps... although most pro cameras can get close to 60 fps.

Example on eBay

You're probably looking for a PL mount so you can rent the best glass.

ah nice.

looks a bit bulky though, since I'm travelling and never am more than one year on one place, it might be a bit too big.

also I cannot imagine a underwaterhousing for this one.. :(

and price should be under 2k.

I once saw a highspeed 16mm with 500fps for 1k on ebay, but I forgot the name and failed to buy it :(

though that would be too much for me 60-150 fps is perfect.

• Premium Member

If Super 16 isn't a requirement, a Scoopic MS will do 64fps I believe. They can be had for under $600.

I have the extremely rare "Scuba Scoopic" underwater case that is actually FROM CANON. Haven't used it yet though. :rolleyes:

Scoopics are also easy to load and easy to handhold.

That price doesn't include a power supply or lead so you would need a pretty hefty 28V battery, as well as working out the pinout on the multicore plug. Not to mention the plug and lead themselves.

That model doesn't even have a viewfinder or a boresight- it's intended to be lined up and locked down on a tripod before shooting. You might need a lens with a reflex finder built in, such as a dog-leg Angenieux.

That lens mount might have a reflex finder in it- I don't recognise it. Ours had a boresight which screwed on above the lens mount but that one has been modified and it doesn't have the mounting hole. So you'll need to ask questions or do some investigation yourself.

If you overcome all that, however, it's the best medium-speed camera you can get- pin-registered up to 400pps (nominally 500, but it couldn't quite manage that on battery power).

That price doesn't include a power supply or lead so you would need a pretty hefty 28V battery, as well as working out the pinout on the multicore plug. Not to mention the plug and lead themselves.

That model doesn't even have a viewfinder or a boresight- it's intended to be lined up and locked down on a tripod before shooting. You might need a lens with a reflex finder built in, such as a dog-leg Angenieux.

That lens mount might have a reflex finder in it- I don't recognise it. Ours had a boresight which screwed on above the lens mount but that one has been modified and it doesn't have the mounting hole. So you'll need to ask questions or do some investigation yourself.

If you overcome all that, however, it's the best medium-speed camera you can get- pin-registered up to 400pps (nominally 500, but it couldn't quite manage that on battery power).

Like I said, if you like a good challenge :D