fridge leakage

Sander Ferdinand

Hello,

I was wondering if most of my super8 movies are lost. I had a fridge break down on me, while having loads of super8 film in it. It started leaking and half of the cartridges have been laying in a puddle of water for a few hours ( HDF35UhawegzzzzzZZasSFFE ).

Now, I'm pretty sure the film is lost, but I was wondering if any of you guys could confirm that. Is this still worth developing?

And yes, just water.

Greets,

Sander Ferdinand

Edited by Sander Ferdinand

• Premium Member

If you are talking about film that was processed but sitting in the fridge in a puddle then you're probably right but you could send one and see what you get as a test.

If this is film that hasn't been shot yet and is still in the aluminum pouch then you will be fine.

Either way, the lesson is to keep zip lock backs around and always keep your film in those, exposed or not.

I was always told that once removed from the foil packing/properly sealed metal film can; film shouldn't be put back in the fridge as it runs the risk of getting covered in condensation and ruined.

In short never put exposed film back in the fridge!

Although, I'll fully admit that I've been 'told' lots of crazy semi plausible doe's and don't s over the years ;)

IF the film actually got wet, then it's pretty ruined. However, as mentioned, if it's still sealed in the foil packs, it should be okay. As for film that has been shot, if can be cold stored to minimize aging effects after shooting, if unable to get it processed right away. It should be sealed in high quality zip-lock bags, and try to get out as much air as possible. If desiring to freeze exposed film for a longer time, say months or years (if that's how long it will take you to get it processed or doing an experiment), then double bag it as an extra precaution. Even exposed cold stored film will still process quite well long after it's been exposed.