Apple didn't invent the iPad

Dom Jaeger

http://news.techeye.net/hardware/stanley-kubrick-invented-the-ipad-in-1968

Bad news for anyone who is busy inventing a sonic screwdriver, holodeck or re-hydrateable pizza.. B)

A lot of computer ideas that were used by the Mac and Windows were originally developed by Xerox, so I guess it shouldn't be a huge surprise that someone had come up with the concept before. Engineering is littered with this, for the example the electric light bulb which was invented by Joseph Swan and developed by Thomas Edison.

• Premium Member

Er, yeah. I think there was something similar - a tablet with a pen, if I recall - used in the original series of Trek, which may predate 2001. It wasn't as fully-realised as Kubrick's implementation, though - I seem to recall hearing how they had 16mm projectors under the desk. Something similar was done for Tron.

• Premium Member

What's interesting in this case is that footage from 2001 is being used in a legal defence against Apple, who are claiming Samsung blatantly copied their iPad design. It concerns the form rather than the technology behind it.

Quoting from an article in The Age:

"Mark Summerfield, a senior associate with Melbourne intellectual property law firm Watermark, said the Apple patent referenced in the Kubrick defence is a design patent that protects the form or physical appearance rather than function.

''Generally, science fiction is not legitimate prior art to a utility patent, because it does not provide an 'enabling disclosure' - it does not inform the public how to make the fictional apparatus,'' Mr Summerfield said. But he said there was no reason why science fiction could not be ''invalidating prior art'' to a registered design."

A device from the 70's kids sci fi show "Tomorrow People" (which I used to watch avidly!) was also cited.

I've always found the speculative design element of sci fi to be one of its most interesting aspects, starting with the fiction of Welles and Verne, but more thoroughly visualised in movies - from the fembot in Metropolis to the drag screens and interactive advertising of Minority Report. And I'm bitterly disappointed that the hovercars I was sure I'd be driving by the time I grew up still haven't eventuated. They'll probably come out just in time for me to get a hover-walking frame. :huh:

Come on Dom, Kubrick's ART DIRECTOR invented the iPad, er Droid. :-p

Phil: There was a black pad with blinking lights and a pen on TOS. You never saw the screen, but the blinking light implied it was electronic. IDK about the pads, but all the displays were powered by 16mm film projectors on many '60s '70s shows. Makes sense. The S8 projector powered the Princess Leia "hologram" in A New Hope.