Ultra Con and Promist Black

Rolfe Klement

Does anyone have some decent examples of stuff shot with and without Black Promist and Ultra Cons

Basically I am trying to decide on which filters to buy - I am more interested in beauty shots than in halation FX. I have heard the combination of an ultra con and a low black pro mist is very often used in beauty shots

thanks

Rolfe

basically any sort of diffusion filter helps in beauty shots...I really like white promist for CU of ladies. I usually use bpm for its desaturation effect. Don't forget about a large, frontal, soft source, for beauty shots. I've started using 4 4ft kinos through a 6x6 silk for a key light. Another nice setup is two 4x4 frames of 216 to either side of the camera with a kino on top of the camera...soft and fashion photo like, look.

Edited by DavidSloan

• Premium Member

It's silly to combine an Ultra Con and a Black ProMist -- just use a regular ProMist! Black ProMists use black specks to restore contrast because of the milkiness from the halation that the normal mist particles cause, so why add an Ultra Con to reduce contrast all over again?

Ultra Cons simply lift the black levels, like flashing does.

If you want a "foggy" diffused beauty shot, use ProMist or Frost filters. If you want something with a little glowing but less milkiness, use Black ProMists, Soft-FX, Classic Softs, or black nets. If you want just softer details, use Diffusion-FX.

• Premium Member
basically any sort of diffusion filter helps in beauty shots...I really like white promist for CU of ladies.  I usually use bpm for its desaturation effect.  Don't forget about a large, frontal, soft source, for beauty shots.  I've started using 4 4ft kinos through a 6x6 silk for a key light.  Another nice setup is two 4x4 frames of 216 to either side of the camera with a kino on top of the camera...soft and fashion photo like, look.

What do you put through the 4X4 David S? or is it left to reflect the bounced kino "eyelight"?

G.