Italian Super 8 Film Contest - Calling for entries

Maurizio Di Cintio

Hey there. I actually did three Super8 films this year, so I'm game for this and will submit all three.

Questions...

On the pdf, under authorizations:

"tv broadcasting of film passages"... Is that giving permission to broadcast the entire film on television, or just parts?

"deposit of a copy of the film in the S8FF archives" means you get to keep the DVD we submit, correct? (I have no problem with that)

"retention of personal details in accordance with the law 375/96"... What is that? No idea if I should check it or not.

Lastly, films in English are okay, correct?

Hi, Matt.

Answer A: it's just portions and it's not for traditional TV broadcast but for the Web Channel of the MilanoCinema Cultural Association. Also it has been devised to have parts of winnig films in the near future (they are still working on this, as you can imagine time is never enough);

Answer B: correct (in other terms, the preview copy should not be expected to be returned)

Answer C: that piece of regulation is needed because according to the Italian law on data storage and retrieval, you have to get permission to record personal data, even if it's for a contest like this and even if it's just Name & Family name and a few info more, from the person in question. Ridicolous but that's the law. It's nothing to worry about.

So I wish you the best of luck for your film(s).

Take care.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Maurizio,

Would the festival accept secured downloads of my MPEG4 (H264/PCM) data files for submission? They average between 140-200 MEGS in size per file. My films are originally shot at 24fps in both Super 8 and Ultrapan8 film formats. Are you setup for laptop/PC playback of data files?

I no longer mail physical copies of DVDs. I have also rejected the highly compressed DVD MPEG2 29.97fps format for my films, e.g. 2/3 pulldown insert results in unacceptable "smearing" between frames, "blocky" compression artifacts, etc.

Regards,

Nicholas Kovats

Toronto, Canada

Hi Maurizio,

Thanks for the reminder. I just mailed my DVD and forms today, and you should receive it in a little over a week. Like Matt, I made a PAL DVD but don't have a way to test it, so please let me know if there is any trouble with it, as I can make a downloadable copy available as well.

Best,

Daniel

Frustratingly enough, I cannot send my entries in because of DVD trouble. When I play back the PAL DVD I burn using Adobe Encore with LVC or Power DVD, the sound is not in sync with the picture. It goes out of sync. I think somehow Adobe Premiere Pro to Encore to DVD is creating a PAL conversion issue. After two weeks of testing and fiddling, I am no closer to figuring it out.

I shot three SUPER8 films this year, so it is beyond frustrating not to send them in for the very type of festival I shot them for!

Will keep trying, but I am running out of time.

Matt,

I have seen loss of lip sync with DVD MPEG2 encoding before.

IF your source material was originated at 24fps synced with audio don't forget that DVD MPEG2 encoding will insert the unfortunate 2/3 pulldown to match the 29.97 NTSC spec thereby rendering your previously synced audio unusable.

What type of source files are you utilizing? Off the top of me head...try rendering to MPEG4 with square pixels, high VBR = 20,000,000 and PCM 16 Bit.

I've no idea how to do MPEG4. I don't even see the option to do a DVD that way. Only MPEG2.

One of the films was shot at 24 fps and I have a 24fps transfer. Premiere Pro gives me the option of then encoding a NTSC or PAL trabsfer. But so far, PAL is giving me audio that loses sync over time.

The other two were shot at 18fps, transferred at PAL, but I have had absolutely no luck in getting a PAL output that works. Only NTSC seems to work. It's a nightmare, really.

Also, I can encode and send 4X3 or the 4X3 image in a 16X9 anamorphic encode. Which would you prefer?

I just don't have the funds to pau someone to do all of this and I have CS5, so it shouldn't be so darned difficult, but then again, so far it is. :angry:

Matt,

Do you have Media Encorder as part of your Adobe CS5 package? If you do it supports encoding to MPEG4, i.e.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/mediaencoder/cs/using/WS725e431141e7ba651e63e3d1267818bc51-8000.html

Video and animation

Animated GIF (Windows only)

FLV, F4V

Note: The FLV and F4V formats are container formats, each of which is associated with a set of video and audio formats. F4V files generally contain video data that is encoded using an H.264 video codec and the AAC audio codec. FLV files generally contain video data encoded using the On2 VP6 or Sorenson Spark codec and audio data encoded using an MP3 audio codec. Adobe Media Encoder CS5 can encode FLV files using the On2 VP6 video codec, not the Sorenson Spark codec..

H.264 Blu-ray (M4V)

MPEG-2 (MPA, M2V, MPG)

MPEG-2 DVD (M2V)

MPEG-2 Blu-ray (M2V, WAV)

MPEG-4

P2 (MXF)

UPDATE: My two Straight8 Super8 projects are successfully burned to PAL DVD's.

However, the one project I shot at 24fps is proving impossible. I have uncompressed QuickTime files, 24fps and any attempt at outputting a PAL version results in audio that is longer than the video.

So Premiere Pro converts the 24 frames to 25, but does not give the audio that 4% speedup it needs.

Basically, I have no way that I can see to convert both audio and video.

I would greatly appreciate any help I can get on this.

SECOND UPDATE: I have successfully burned a PAL DVD of my 24fps Super8 short, but I despise the results. There are artifacts, smearing and blurriness that was not there previously. It really does ruin the experience. Not to mention the increase in pitch on the audio makes the actors sound as though they were sucking on helium.

FRUSTRATED!

Nicholas Kovats mentioned downloading files. If that is possible, should you be able to project from a laptop, then I would much rather submit my 24fps short that way. It's the best short I have made and I am damn proud of it.

Question is, do you want an HD 16X9 H.264 file or would you prefer standard def and 4X3 (1.33:1)?

My source is 1080p 24 Uncompressed QuickTime.

1080p 24 at High Quality is over a gig, so that's too large, but I can easily do a 720p version that is under 800mb. It look very close to the source.

Standard Def would be half that size, but contain noticeable compression artifacts because of Super8's grain structure.

It would be even easier to burn the final file on DVD as a DATA FILE. That way you do not need to download it.

The other two films I am submitting were shot at 18fps and I have attained PAL transfers, so I was able to burn those to DVD and will mail them tomorrow morning.

Last question... You do not specify how these will be projected. Would you prefer widescreen 16X9 with 4X3 content in the center, or for 4X3 (1.33:1) content do you want a non widescreen, normal 1.33:1 SD DVD?

I've seen festivals where they completely screw up aspect ratios on some films because of this kind of confusion.

Thanks

Hi Maurizio.

I have sent a DropBox invitation to the following email address as per the Milano Super 8 Film Festival web site, i.e. info@super8filmfestival.it ...with the following message, i.e.

"Hi!

Please accept my films for submission to the Milano Super 8 Film Festival. I have submitted the following for download, i,e,

1. One UltraPan8 film in MPEG4 format called "My Memories Of Her Are Missing"

2. One Super 8 film in MPEG4 format called "I Wasn't Ready For This"

3. Two separate PDF entry forms regarding both films.

Regards,

Nicholas Kovats

Toronto, Canada"

Please confirm receipt.

Cheers!

SECOND UPDATE: I have successfully burned a PAL DVD of my 24fps Super8 short, but I despise the results. There are artifacts, smearing and blurriness that was not there previously. It really does ruin the experience. Not to mention the increase in pitch on the audio makes the actors sound as though they were sucking on helium.

FRUSTRATED!

Nicholas Kovats mentioned downloading files. If that is possible, should you be able to project from a laptop, then I would much rather submit my 24fps short that way. It's the best short I have made and I am damn proud of it.

Question is, do you want an HD 16X9 H.264 file or would you prefer standard def and 4X3 (1.33:1)?

My source is 1080p 24 Uncompressed QuickTime.

1080p 24 at High Quality is over a gig, so that's too large, but I can easily do a 720p version that is under 800mb. It look very close to the source.

HI, THERE. I'M SORRY FOR ALL THE TROUBLES YOU ARE EXPERIENCING IN ORDER TO LET US HAVE A VIEWABLE COPY OF YOUR FILM. EVENTUALLY I GUESS THE ABOVE MENTIONED 720p VERSION SHOULD DO WELL.

Standard Def would be half that size, but contain noticeable compression artifacts because of Super8's grain structure.

It would be even easier to burn the final file on DVD as a DATA FILE. That way you do not need to download it.

The other two films I am submitting were shot at 18fps and I have attained PAL transfers, so I was able to burn those to DVD and will mail them tomorrow morning.

Last question... You do not specify how these will be projected. Would you prefer widescreen 16X9 with 4X3 content in the center, or for 4X3 (1.33:1) content do you want a non widescreen, normal 1.33:1 SD DVD?

ANSWER: if the original is 4/3 aspect ratio, we prefer to have it that way (no 16/9 with image at the center, only, please)

I've seen festivals where they completely screw up aspect ratios on some films because of this kind of confusion.

REPLY: please rest assured - we don't.

Best of luck.

Thanks

Maurizo,

My UltraPan8 film has an aspect ratio = 2.8:1. Normally that should not be an issue for local playback on a PC/MAC screen or digital projection. Can you confirm? I am curious if the festival can also playback DCP files as do the commercial cinemas?

Regards,

Nicholas

Maurizo, all three shorts were sent today via Priority Mail and if delivery times stay true to advertised, the package will arrive between the 13th and 15th. I hope and pray it does not miss the 15th deadline.

All three DVD's are 4X3 PAL. 1.33:1 aspect ratios.

What a pisser this was.

You guys should project DVD and Blu-Ray. It would make it easier when dealing with 1080p 24fps material to have the Blu-Ray option. :)

Anyway, I hope you guys like some or even all my short films.

• 1 month later...