Just moved to Melbourne

hi, I've recently graduated in Italy and decided to go for a foreign experience in Australia after some minor jobs as a lighting technician and/or digital camera assistant (and a few more videoclips and shorts as dop for free).

I was trained mainly with S16 and low budget digital cameras and got a refresher for 35mm and RED.

Landed in Melbourne, now I'm looking for a place to start from...so, what would you do? :huh:

• Premium Member

Hi Fabio,

welcome to Melbourne, hope you enjoy your time here.

Like most places the local film industry is pretty small and hard to break into. It's been even smaller lately because of our high dollar which has scared off the foreign productions.

But you could try dropping in to the main rental houses (Panavision, Cameraquip, Lemac) to see if there's any internships or positions available - that's probably the best way to make contacts in the industry.

It's getting a bit late in the year, but there's also the various film schools (VCA, Swinburne, Griffith) where you could offer to help out on student shoots in order to meet people and get more experience (and maybe score a free lunch B) ).

Ah, the joys of concurrently fitting the guidelines of two countries interpretation of being a 'tax resident' ...

Ringing up the assorted helplines and being put on hold for 20mins while they decide that indeed, it's really what I 'feel'

laugh.gif

You'll love Melbourne, summer is on the way - get yourself a $70 a week mango habit like I did

(Heading back in November)

Guest Paul J P Culpepper

I'd very much like to repatriate to Melbourne from the USA, would like to hear more about your experiences and from others also. I haven't had an opportunity to travel overseas, seeking partners/mentors who could aide facilitating changes.