Are these 100ft daylight spools? (UK)

Michael Humphrey

• Premium Member

Hey there - it's always tough to round up 100ft daylight spools - could this be a goldmine? It says 16mm film....

They are 16mm Microfilm spools, I have used hundreds of them back in teh days I worked in the Microfilm department at work.

They are not quite as rigid as the Aluminium Movie spools, but otherwise will fit and work. (at least in my Filmo which is where I have used them when I was short of the metal ones) Suggest taking slightly more care to remove the film from the camera in very subdued light. The flange may be a touch thinker than the movie flange, if you get the fuji or Agfa version. The kodaks are OK.

I am actually surprised that they don't use these for Movie film, that have to be less expensive to make than the metal spools.

Hey there - it's always tough to round up 100ft daylight spools...

Then why not buy them new?

Philip Rigby & Sons Ltd in Surrey sell 100ft, 200ft and 400ft daylight spools. It's a couple of years since I last bought from them, but certainly the prices for 100ft were fairly reasonable - especially if you get the lab to return them back to you afterwards for reuse! :)

• Premium Member
I am actually surprised that they don't use these for Movie film, that have to be less expensive to make than the metal spools.

One reason is that ordinary motion-picture film is proner to static charge than hard-gelatin microfilm. Ordinary movie film has less hardened gelatine layers, especially multilayer colour film, in order to allow chemicals diffund in and out in relatively short time. Single-layer microfilms have rather thin layers, say in the order of 8 micrometer (.315 mils), which are soaked in a jiffy.

• Premium Member

One reason is that ordinary motion-picture film is proner to static charge than hard-gelatin microfilm.

OF COURSE! Why did'ent I think of that. Microfilm runs through the camera a bit slower also, unless your a bank with a rotary cheque camera. The Metal spool would bleed off any static rapidly, Even if the plastic has anti-static treatment it might hold a charge.

AS I said, when I got my first 16mm Movie Camera I did use the mirofilm spools, and SAVED the spool the film came on. I generally ask for the spools back, so a have a few set aside.

I just ordered some off this chap and got them really fast ! Great value and highly recommended. I've had these kinds of plastic spools before and they are ideal for storing shorter lengths of exposed film when you're editing etc. Myself, I wouldn't use them as daylight camera spools. They may work fine, but I wouldn't trust the flexible sides not to let light down into the coils of film... :blink:

Doug

www.filmisfine.co

• Premium Member

All 16mm daylight spools will let film down the sides - the dimension is larger than 16mm...

the plastic spools are a bit more flexible and so need greater care. The flange my flex and allow more places for light to sneak in. When I used them, they worked fine.

All 16mm daylight spools will let film down the sides - the dimension is larger than 16mm...

Yes. I'm a little paranoid I suppose. Once I had a bad experience with a bent metal spool actually supplied new by Mr. K. It caused about half the regular 16 film to edge-fog, thankfully not much in the image. Had it been super-16... :(

Yes. I'm a little paranoid I suppose. Once I had a bad experience with a bent metal spool actually supplied new by Mr. K. It caused about half the regular 16 film to edge-fog, thankfully not much in the image. Had it been super-16... :(

Mind you, I think I was breaking all the rules loading out of the shade !

See Stopping the Fog

Edited by Doug Palmer

• Premium Member

Yes. I'm a little paranoid I suppose. Once I had a bad experience with a bent metal spool actually supplied new by Mr. K.

The very first 16mm camera I bought on e-bay, a lunch box like devry, had a spool gauge built in, with a note to check every spool.