New HD cameras on the horizon?

Brian Rose

I posted this in the HD forum, but to no replies, so I thought it might get better notice here, if you all don't mind.

Now I know, this is kind of a dumb question. Of course, there's ALWAYS something new coming in six months or a year. The reason I ask is I've been waiting several years to get an HD camera, and I think I'm close to pulling the trigger on one. I've been reading up on all the available cameras, I've tested as many as I can get my hands on, and based on a number of factors including chip size, versatility, cost, I'm leaning strongly toward getting an AG AF100 from Panasonic, along with a CF recorder like the Pix 240 from Sound Devices.

But of course, there is always something new coming, and I'm not in a huge hurry, so if it means waiting six more months for something to come out...I can do that. So is there anything supposed to be coming in the next 6-12 months that you all think would be worth waiting for? Not necessarily something on the scale of an EX1-2R with an extra widget, but gamechangers (2K-3K under $5000, bigger chip, etc), better price point, quality, all those factors. What is the latest scuttlebutt?

Thanks!

BR

On the Panasonic front theres also the HPX250 which is basically a HPX370 in a HPX 170 type form factor and at about half the price or less.

love

Freya

Awe, Freya, I didn't know that's how you felt! ;)

Seriously though, thanks everyone for your comments. Like I said, I'm in no hurry. I've been waiting and researching cameras for nearly four years...I can wait six more months!

Awe, Freya, I didn't know that's how you felt! ;)

Seriously though, thanks everyone for your comments. Like I said, I'm in no hurry. I've been waiting and researching cameras for nearly four years...I can wait six more months!

;) As someone once pointed out many years ago tho, theres no comma, so technically it is a command! ;)

Okay, some kinda revolutionary stuff about! Which is a surprise as things have been a bit uninteresting for some time.

It turns out there are 3 models based off the HPX370. The HPX250 is the top end one.

However you can buy the same camera without P2 recording. This seems quite a bit more revolutionary in some ways. The other models are called the AG-AC160 and the AG-AC130. They are both AVCHD and the 160 includes HD-SDI and XLR's. The 130 is a cheapo model with everything stripped off but still basically a HPX370 supposedly! I actually think these 2 lower end cameras are the most interesting thing from Panasonic for a looong time. I was excited by the idea of the AF100 but so far I have been feeling very nonplussed with the footage I have seen from the thing.

Whats really exciting tho is this:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/uk/products/hyperdeckshuttle/techspecs/

WOW!!!! That is a game changing price!

love

Freya

Edited by Freya Black