Doiflex 16

Robert Ditto

• Premium Member

Hello Everyone!

I have an opportunity to purchase one these cameras, and I am doing some research to see if it would be worth the investment. I have a few questions:

1. Are they as reliable as their Arriflex Counterparts?

2. Are they serviceable?

3. Is anything interchangeable with the Arriflex?

4. Does anyone know where I can find more information on these cameras?

Thank You,

Sincerely, Respectfully,

Robert M. Ditto

post-52273-0-24728100-1318173252.jpg

Unless it is extraordinarily cheap, with 16Ss available for a few hundred pounds I wonder why you would.

The 16S is a virtually immortal piece of engineering. The only one I ever used ran like a dream out of the box where it had lain unused for 10 or 15 years.

Can't help with the question, though. I know it's a bit like the chap who asked for directions only to be told 'well I wouldn't start from here'. Sorry.

• Premium Member

I actually saw a Doiflex once about 40 years ago. Very few were ever made. Nothing on them is interchangeable with Arri. They use a guillotine shutter, not a rotating mirror. No parts available. If it's in excellent condition, you might offer $25. It's a large decorative paperweight.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

Hahahahahaha! Actually, No. Though that is a nice specimen. Bit pricey. But I found one here locally in an antiques store in West Little Rock. They're asking $150 USD. And it is in really good shape, VERY clean, with hardly, and I mean HARDLY, any signs of age at all. The chrome trim is a little lack luster, but a good rubbing compound would make that camera SHINE. But, can't afford to collect cameras these days, if I am going to buy something, I need to be able to add it to my Arsenal of Gear, rather than put it on a shelf. Maybe later it will still be there when I can afford to collect.

The discipline required of mere humans when it comes to decisions regarding camera gear. Collect or use?

I do not have enough cash on hand to take advantage of the countless deals all over. Focus, focus, focus! By the way, Robert, the native UK based UltraPan8 projector is about to be shipped to Jean-Louis for a slight gate mod.

Do you and your brother have nay projector engineering experience? I was wondering if it is plausible to retrofit the projector with an Osram HTI lamp + ballast, e.g.

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=de&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www.wittner-cinetec.com/katalog/05_licht/d_hti.php&usg=ALkJrhiJcycQKqZuJEwB-My3YnOseBwPTQ

Apparently the projector has a significant internal fan.