How to do type of Time lapse?

I'd like to do a type of time lapse where the focus is on a subject walking across the screen. The subject is waking at a normal pace, but the background is time lapsed. The hard part here, I would think is when the subject is walking. I know how to film it with a subject standing still, but I have no idea how I would do it while the subject is walking.

Adrian is describing a space saving technique where a motion control type dolly has effectively been replaced by a motion control floor. Interesting relative thinking :).

How much freedom did you want in the camera perspective? Or to flip the question around how much slip between the subject and background is permissible ?

Or did you mean static camera, static BG and subject walks through the FOV ?

Adrian is describing a space saving technique where a motion control type dolly has effectively been replaced by a motion control floor. Interesting relative thinking :).

How much freedom did you want in the camera perspective? Or to flip the question around how much slip between the subject and background is permissible ?

Or did you mean static camera, static BG and subject walks through the FOV ?

An example from a movie would be the opening scene from Horrible Bosses, where the actor, Jason Bateman is performing tasks at a regular "speed" while the background is time lapsed/fast forwarded. In this case the camera is moving, probably on a crane. What I would like to do is just set up a static camera but achieve the same effect.

• Premium Member

An example from a movie would be the opening scene from Horrible Bosses, where the actor, Jason Bateman is performing tasks at a regular "speed" while the background is time lapsed/fast forwarded. In this case the camera is moving, probably on a crane. What I would like to do is just set up a static camera but achieve the same effect.

VFX where the camera is locked off looks naff, thats why motion control systems have been used for the last 30+ years. Run the camera at different speeds & combine elements.

Well, you're into the realm of motion control with what you want to do - crane or treadmill you're going to have to figure out a way to sync everything.

Is this something you want to home brew and you're both interested in the field and have the time and cash ? If so, then if you're asking the questions you're asking then set aside at least two years and thousands of learning to get anywhere near synced and repeatable results (double or x20 those numbers if you like). You could maybe get away with it freewheeling, but a system without computer control is a study of limitations....

Maybe you're just after the shot and not so much interested in the real nitty gritty ? Ring up a gripping co and ask who has the local motion control rig, by doing this time factor is shortened considerably, money not so much though :lol: