Progressive scanning cameras

Carlton Rahmani

I've been playing around with my DSR PD150 and been having a lot of fun with it. The problem I'm having is with aliasing/interlacing artifacts--because, who seriously works with interlaced video anymore (or should plan to). The PD150 can record progressive, but at a diminished frame rate, it looks like. So my question is: Is there a camera comparable to the pd150, at least in terms of quality and price, that can record progressive? Any hints.

• Premium Member

All that really matters is that it shoots progressive and that even if it is recorded as interlaced, the original "p" frames can be extracted / reassembled. And there are many cameras that shoot 24P, 25P, 30P ever since the DVX100 several years ago, and there are many ways of getting back to the original progressive scan frames.

• Premium Member

The 150 definitely doesn't, the DVX-100 does (and is a cracking little camera in general, if you can deal with 4:3 standard def).

Many of the more modern HDV cameras will shoot progressive standard-def in DV mode, and of course then you get the advantage of an oversampled sensor. In that situation, though, it would be difficult to justify not shooting and posting HDV, then blowing it down as a final step - you'd get a very nice-looking SD master that way, give or take a few HDV artefacts.

P