Processing Question

John Rizzo

• Premium Member

Does anyone out here know the difference from C41 Bath and ECN2 Bath..

Can film that is supposed to go in C41 be processed in ECN2?

The formulas are a bit different. Both of them used to be on the Kodak site, ECN in the Z1 manual series, C-41 under Professional products. The Colour developing agent is different, so the colours will not be the same. The bleach is different so you would have to watch for retained silver and or colourless Cyan Dyes.

Kodak and Fuji will of course disclaim any promises of dye stability.

On the bright side, I have home processed still negatives on ECN-2 using a unofficial developer based on C-41 so they are possibly close enough that it should work. (maybe) The other way will be a disaster as C-41 has no idea what to make of the rem-jet backing on ecn2 film.

I've done it the other way round. Shot movie film on my SLR, and home processed it C-41. The only change I had to make was a longer bleach bath, and it came out color correct and everything. So the chemical difference isn't a whole lot, it's just a matter of adjusting it possibly.

There is also the Remjet-removal step that is not necessary for C-41.

As a rule C-41 and ECN-2 films will not give optimum colour if those processes are interchanged, although some people do report success (on the other hand, from tests done by an acquaintance, 5201 *hates* C-41).

ECN-2 films must have their Remjet removed before undergoing machine-processing in C-41.