New Cinerama short in production

John Rizzo

• Premium Member

Show it at the Pictureville Cinema in Bradford, obviously!

Yes, for some reason a particularly dismal part of this feeble little island actually has one of the world's three remaining real Cinerama screens.

It's a bit small, though:

1996c_large.jpg

I thought the entire pupose of Cinerama was that you were supposed to sit in it?

P

Wonderful!

Some years ago there were two Cinerama Cinemas in Birmingham, UK. There was the Bristol Cinema, just out of the City centre, and the Gaumont Cinema which was located in the City Centre. In addition, there was also the West End Cinema, which was a Todd AO cinema. I am pleased to say that I had the pleasure of seeing presentations in all three cinemas, and I really do feel that we are now much the poorer because these formats have almost completely gone. The Gaumont is said to have had the largest screen in Europe. All three cinemas have been demolished.

To see the Cinerama camera at work, as we do in this short presentation, is magnificent, and should make us all think about how much we have lost in visual arts. The technical complexities of building a "three cameras in one" machine, must have been very considerable, and yet it was done.

Wonderful!