strobe in picture? Can anyone help me?

jackson defa

Hi, I have shot a lot of 16mm film and I got the telecine back and there is a strobe on about 2/3rds of the show.

We shot everything on a CP16R. We shot five different film stocks and almost everything is 24FPS. The batteries are brand-new so I don't think it's the motor. AlphaCine in seattle is our lab. Would they have said something if this strobeing was on the neg? Also, we had a SD telecine to save cost (not at AlphaCine, mind you) and will do an offline with the SD footage with the intention of conforming back to the neg and getting a 2k to finish. Here is an example I put on youtube:

Any help would be greatly appreciated. In the shot there are lights in the frame, however I warn the strobe is not a result of these lights. Is it something to do with the Telecine, or is it on the negative. If it is on the negative, is my show ruined, or can something be done?

looks like the neg to me - bad film stock (x-rayed perhaps or too old?), or exposed to light from light leaks in the camera/mag changes/film loading. Take a look at the neg - you should be able to see it.

is there anything that can be done, a process by which to correct this?

Since this problem is not consistent throughout your film its not likely to be a transfer problem. I'd be suspicious of those fluorescent lights. If your motor is off slightly that could also be a problem. Have you seen any other film shot recently with this camera package?

You said it affected 2/3rds of your footage, is there anything common about that footage? Different film stock from the good shots? Is the strobe only in scenes shot at this location? Is the problem footage coming out of certain magazines? Was the bad film shot later in day (maybe the batteries were weak)?

If this was my project I'd just embrace the problem and take a more experimental/arty approach to the material. Desaturate, pump the contrast and grain, add some abstract music/sound design, and then declare the strobe as a 'look'.

1st Where did you get your stock and how old was it?

I had a issue like yours...the result of my investigation was that the film co that I bought the film from didn't get the the manufacturer. So the age and condition was in question...even though it was never opened....appeared fresh and new.

Let me ask,,,did the strobe change over the corse of roll?...mine diminished towards the center of the roll...less strobe effect.

Let me ask,,,did the strobe change over the corse of roll?...mine diminished towards the center of the roll...less strobe effect.

interesting thought. I will examine some of the footage with this in mind. I agree that it too appears to be a stock issue. I think the red emulsion layer... how does one say? ...went bad. Because the blue is so heavy at times and I know the blue layer of emulsion is the bottom layer... Anyways, very tricky situation... I have found a way to correct the effect in After Effects, however I want to learn more about what a colorist can do to correct this. Any thoughts along those lines? :blink: